This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Please see my full disclosure for particulars.
Hello Daring Bakers!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE: These heavenly Apple Pie Blondies scream fall with three spectacular layers! You get all the cozy flavors of your favourite harvest-season desserts collectively in a single chunk! Surely, it’s the right autumn deal with, and I’m certain you’ll end up desirous to take pleasure in all of it yr lengthy!
I’ve shared this earlier than in my Greatest-Ever Blondies, nevertheless it bears repeating—I truly desire blondies to brownies! What I like extra about that is that the streusel topping is similar to Apple Crumble, which is the very first thing I baked with my mother on the age of seven. It gave me unforgettable fond meals recollections and I’ve liked the delicious caramelized, deep, wealthy taste of baked apples ever since.
Desk of Contents
What are 3-Layer Apple Pie Blondies?
- 3-Layer Apple Pie Blondies are a mash-up of blondies, everybody’s favourite butterscotch-flavored apple pie filling, topped with buttery streusel topping.
- Blondies first appeared as molasses-flavored bar cookies within the Fannie Farmer Cookbook 1896. They exploded in recognition within the Nineteen Eighties, and now there’s even a Nationwide Blondie Day on January 22.
- You possibly can take pleasure in 3-Layer Apple Pie Blondies as is, like a bar cookie, or in a bowl with Vanilla Ice Cream, whipped cream, and Apple Cider Caramel Sauce.
Key Components and Why
All-purpose flour is the bottom of those blondies with a protein content material of round 11%, so the blondies will likely be tender, not powerful.
- Brown sugar sweetens the blondies and provides them a stunning trace of caramel.
- It has extra moisture than white sugar to create a gooey middle for the blondies.
- Not solely does it prepare dinner with the apple juices to make a wealthy sauce, however brown sugar additionally creates a nice crunch within the topping as soon as baked with the butter, oats, and nuts.
- Make your personal or enrich it utilizing my recipe The best way to Make Brown Sugar.
- Oats give the 3-Layer Apple Pie Brownies an irresistible crispy, crumbly layer of texture.
- Fast oats are old style oats which have been rolled even thinner and damaged into smaller items. For the reason that items are smaller, they prepare dinner a lot sooner than old style oats.
- Be taught in regards to the several types of oats in Baking with Oats: A Full Information
Cozy, spicy, and candy cinnamon provides the apple pie and streusel layers their distinctive, comforting taste.
- Butter enriches the flavour of the blondie base.
- It cooks with brown sugar and apple juices to make a luscious thick syrup. And it’s kneaded into the brown sugar to kind the crispy oatmeal prime.
Chopped nuts add crunch, they usually offset the recipe’s sweetness completely.
Granny Smith Apples
- Use Granny Smith apples for one of the best taste and texture.
- Bramley apples will likely be your go-to cooking apples in Eire or UK, that are very bitter to eat however work fantastically in baking, akin to Apple Crumble.
- Eggs give the blondies moisture and wealthy taste with out a mushy texture.
- Overwhelmed eggs retain air to assist blondies rise and make them lighter.
- As soon as blended with liquid, baking powder causes a fast chemical response that creates carbon dioxide, creating bubbles within the batter and forming an airier crumb and an general gentle, fluffy texture.
- Make your personal with Be taught The best way to Make Baking Powder and Baking Soda Defined and also you’ll by no means run out.
The best way to Make 3-Layer Apple Pie Blondies
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter pan and line with parchment paper.
Make the Topping
- Whisk collectively the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Combine the chilly butter in together with your fingers, or use a pastry blender.
Make the Apple Layer
Mix the chopped apples with the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, and lemon juice.
Make the Blondie Base
- Whisk the brown sugar with melted butter, after which whisk within the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add within the brown sugar and butter combination. Take care to not over-mix.
- Take a look at Why Do You Combine Dry Components and Moist Components Individually? to know the science behind mixing individually, and why it provides you a greater consequence!
Assemble and Bake
- Unfold the blondie batter into the ready pan.
- Observe with the apple combination, after which sprinkle on the streusel topping.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, till the apples are smooth and the topping is crisp.
- Let cool utterly earlier than chopping.
Can I Make 3-Layer Apple Pie Blondies in Advance?
- Sure, you may make them partly prematurely.
- Put together the apple filling and the streusel a day forward, and refrigerate till prepared to make use of.
- Let the apple filling come to room temperature earlier than baking.
The best way to Retailer 3-Layer Apple Pie Blondies
- The three-Layer Apple Blondies are finest loved the day they’re made.
- If there are any leftovers, retailer them in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 2 days.
Can I make 3-Layer Apple Pie Blondies egg-free?
Sure, you may make this recipe egg-free. Use my information to 12 Greatest Egg Substitutes for Baking and The best way to Use Them to see particular egg substitutes for brownies, which may also work nicely nicely in blondies.
Can I make 3-Layer Apple Pie Blondies gluten-free?
I’d recommend utilizing my Gluten-Free Blondie Recipe as a base on this recipe. It makes use of almond flour and coconut oil and has a crisp exterior and a moist, wealthy middle.
I made blondies as soon as earlier than they usually got here out greasy. How do I keep away from this?
- Make certain to not over-mix, which can separate fats from oil or butter to yield a greasy consequence. Additionally, make sure that all components are at room temperature.
- Overheating butter would separate fats from it or including eggs to the HOT butter and sugar combination would prepare dinner eggs to trigger lumps which led to overmixing. Each would result in an oily consequence.
- DO NOT REMOVE the blondies too early from the pan. Allow them to cool utterly to room temperature within the tin. The remaining warmth will yield an ideal fudgy middle with out overcooking it. Eradicating it too early may also result in a uncooked consequence.
How do I preserve my blondies from getting too dry?
- Don’t over-cook! That is vital to recollect when making blondies
- Bake the 3-Layer Apple Pie Blondies simply till the apples are tender and the streusel is browned.
Gemma’s Professional Chef Ideas
- For the streusel, in case you don’t have quick-cooking oats, simply frivolously chop common old style oats.
- You possibly can exchange the pecans within the streusel with walnuts or hazelnuts. Toast the nuts for further taste.
- We like tart Granny Smith apples that retain their form for baking however you possibly can exchange them with any number of apples that you just like. Remember the fact that some apple varieties will break down greater than others when baked and that will have an effect on the ultimate texture.
- For an additional candy deal with, make Gemma’s Signature Salted Caramel Sauce and drizzle some on prime of the cooled blondies simply earlier than serving.
- You possibly can serve these blondies heat with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, identical to you’ll for a pie!
- Serve with Home made Vanilla Ice Cream and Apple Cider Caramel Sauce on prime.
Extra Apple Recipes
Bask in these luscious 3-Layer Apple Pie Blondies, which provide you with buttery streusel topping, tender, caramelized apples, and plush blondies.
Servings: 16 servings
For the Streusel Topping
- ¾ cup (3¾ oz/105 g) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (2 oz/57 g) darkish brown sugar
- ½ cup (1½ oz/43 g) quick-cooking oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup (4 oz/115 g) butter, chilly and diced
- ½ cup (2½ oz/71 g) pecans, chopped
For the Apple Layer
- 3 massive (16 oz/450 g) Granny Smith apples, peel and chopped right into a 1-inch (3 cm) cube
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons darkish brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon (½ oz/14 g) butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the Blondie Base
- 1⅔ cup (10 oz/285 g) darkish brown sugar
- ¾ cup (6 oz/170 g) butter, melted
- 2 massive eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (7½ oz/213 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Make the Streusel Topping
In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, oats, salt, and cinnamon.
Rub within the chilly butter together with your fingers (or use a pastry blender) till the combination is crumbly, then toss within the pecans. Refrigerate till prepared to make use of.
Make the Apple Layer
In a medium bowl, mix the chopped apples with the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, and lemon juice. Put aside.
Make the Blondie Base
In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the brown sugar and melted butter, then whisk within the eggs and vanilla extract.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, then stir into the brown sugar combination till simply mixed.
Unfold the blondie base evenly into your ready pan, then prime with the apples and at last the streusel topping.
Bake for 45 – 55 minutes, till the apples are tender and the topping is properly browned. Let cool utterly within the pan earlier than slicing and serving.