Bublanina, a Czech sponge cake, which has the same texture to espresso cake and is harking back to a French clafoutis, is pleasant to the attention and much more pleasing to the palate with its gentle, ethereal batter gently kissed with hints of lemon and vanilla. In line with custom, it’s dappled with the perfect summertime has to supply—gleaming darkish cherries, juicy blackberries, and tart raspberries, which nestle gently into the tender cake because it bakes. It will get its identify from the Czech phrase for “bubble,” referring to the best way the batter rises up and gently envelops the fruit. A dusting of confectioners’ sugar is the ultimate contact to this delicately understated and at all times delectable Bublanina.
Click on right here to obtain a printable PDF of this lesson, or preserve scrolling to view our digital lesson.
Wonderful recipes require fantastic components. Right here’s how our recipe’s components contribute to creating the perfect Bublanina.
UNBLEACHED CAKE FLOUR: Unbleached cake flour makes a extra tender cake than all objective flour as a result of cake flour is produced from comfortable wheat. With a 5% to eight% protein content material, unbleached cake flour gives a super quantity of protein, giving our Bublanina the right construction.
BAKING POWDER: Most baking powders are double-acting, which means the response happens twice, utilizing two totally different acids. The primary is a fast response when baking powder is mixed with a liquid within the batter. The second response is slower, occurring when the cake bakes.
KOSHER SALT: Kosher salt has a pure, clear taste as a result of it doesn’t comprise iodine or minerals. It’s flaked moderately than granulated, permitting for extra even distribution when whipped into the cake batter.
EGGS: Eggs assist in leavening the cake, contribute richness with their yolks, and add moisture to the sponge cake.
CREAM OF TARTAR: Including a small quantity of cream of tartar helps pace up the formation of air bubbles when whipping the egg whites. It additionally aids in stabilizing the whipped egg whites within the batter and helps them maintain their quantity.
GRANULATED SUGAR: Granulated sugar does greater than add sweetness to the cake. Sugar acts as a whipping aide when stabilizing the egg whites. It additionally incorporates air into the batter because it’s creamed with the butter. Sugar has hygroscopic properties, which means it may possibly soak up water from the encompassing atmosphere. Due to this, the Bublanina will retain
moisture even after being baked and cooled, resulting in an extended shelf life.
UNSALTED BUTTER: As a result of butter is significant to the feel and richness of the cake, a European-style butter with a better fats content material than generic grocery retailer butter will yield the perfect outcomes. For the reason that salt content material can differ throughout butter manufacturers, we use unsalted butter to regulate the precise quantity of salt desired.
VANILLA EXTRACT: Vanilla extract is a magical ingredient that provides on the spot depth of taste and complexity to this cake.
LEMON ZEST: A contact of lemon zest boosts the cake’s taste delicately but distinctively.
FRESH FRUIT: Cherries are conventional, however any stone fruit or mixture of berries will work for this cake.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
We advocate this set of instruments for our approach
STAND MIXER: As a treasured energy- and time-saver, a stand mixer will assist whisk egg whites with the cream of tartar into foamy submission and effortlessly beat collectively the butter and sugar for the cake batter. (Pictured is the KitchenAid® Artisan Design Sequence Blossom Stand Mixer.)
ROUND CAKE PAN: Designed to bake evenly, this stunning, golden commercial-quality pan is crafted of aluminized metal for distinctive sturdiness, making the pan perfect for baking the Bublanina. (Pictured is the Williams Sonoma Goldtouch® Professional Nonstick Spherical Cake Pan, 9”.)
SIEVE: We love this heavy-duty stainless-steel sieve. It’s fitted with ergonomically formed handles that make it comfy to raise and maintain when sifting dry components and dusting the cake with a heavenly sprinkling of confectioners’ sugar. (Pictured is the All-Clad 3-Piece Stainless-Metal Strainer Set.)
CHERRY PITTER: Cherry-pitting is extremely painless with this time-saving software. The splatter guard retains you and your kitchen from getting sprayed with juices as you pit a whole bowl of cherries with grace and ease. (Pictured is the OXO Cherry & Olive Pitter.)
OFFSET SPATULA: A small offset spatula offers you optimum management when spreading the batter evenly into the cake pan. (Pictured is the Williams Sonoma Olivewood Offset Icing Spatula, 4”.)
GRATER: This rasp grater is right for zesting lemon, with its razor-sharp stainless-steel tooth that enable for grating in each instructions, which saves time and power. (Pictured is the Microplane® Rasp Grater.)
GLASS BOWLS AND SPATULAS: You possibly can’t beat the fundamentals for all of your baking wants. Glass bowls are the right vessels for measuring, prepping, and mixing all of your components. Spatulas are good for stirring and folding the batter effortlessly. (Pictured are the Glass Mixing Bowl 10-Piece Set and Williams Sonoma Final Silicone Spatula Set with Stainless-Metal Deal with.)
- 1 cup (125 grams) unbleached cake flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 3 massive eggs (150 grams), separated and room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup (75 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) lemon zest
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 1½ cups assorted contemporary berries or ½-inch-chopped stone fruit (see Word)
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch spherical cake pan with baking spray with flour. Line backside of pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift collectively flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high pace till foamy. Scale back mixer pace to medium-low, and add ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar in a sluggish, regular stream. Improve mixer pace to medium excessive, and beat till medium-stiff peaks type. Switch to a medium bowl.
- Clear bowl of stand mixer. Utilizing the paddle attachment, beat butter and remaining ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar at medium pace till fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, one by one, beating till mixed after every addition; scrape backside and sides of bowl. Beat at medium-high pace till gentle and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Add egg white combination to butter combination in three additions alternately with flour combination, starting and ending with egg white combination, folding by hand till simply mixed after every addition. Gently unfold batter into ready pan. Place fruit on batter. (Don’t press fruit into batter.)
- Bake till golden brown and a wood decide inserted in middle comes out clear, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Take away from pan, and serve heat or at room temperature. Simply earlier than serving, garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Retailer in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days.
For this cake, deal with the quantity of the fruit moderately than the load. Pit and halve cherries earlier than measuring.
TIME TO SIFT
Sifting breaks up lumps within the flour and aerates the remaining dry components, making it simpler to combine into the batter
1. In a medium bowl, sift collectively flour, baking powder, and salt. Sifting ensures all of the dry components will evenly distribute within the batter.
Whipped egg whites bolstered by cream of tartar assist give the cake its stunning top and pleasant texture
1. Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high pace till foamy. Scale back mixer pace to medium-low, and add ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar in a sluggish, regular stream. Improve mixer pace to medium-high, and beat till medium-stiff peaks type. Switch to a medium bowl. Granulated sugar and cream of tartar assist within the stabilization of the egg whites, however ensure you add the sugar in a sluggish, regular stream; this ensures that the sugar will dissolve into the egg whites as a substitute of giving the combination a grainy texture. Additionally, you don’t wish to deflate all the beautiful air you whipped into the egg whites, which supplies the cake a beautiful gentle texture.
BEATING THE BATTER
Dreamily creamed butter and sugar and gloriously golden yolks give the cake texture and fantastic taste
1. Clear bowl of stand mixer. Utilizing the paddle attachment, beat butter and remaining ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar at medium pace till fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, one by one, beating till mixed after every addition; scrape sides of bowl. Beat at medium-high pace till gentle and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla. Make certain your butter is softened appropriately for this step, not too chilly or heat. Softened butter ought to have some resistance once you gently press it, nevertheless it ought to nonetheless preserve its form. Because the butter and sugar are crushed collectively, the combination aerates or creates plenty of tiny bubbles, contributing to the cake’s quantity. The extra bubbles you’ve got in your community, the lighter in texture your cake might be and the finer the crumb. Don’t skip the step the place you scrape the perimeters of the blending bowl. It ensures that the butter, sugar, and eggs mix cohesively, leading to a homogenized batter.
EASY DOES IT
Now that we’ve included air into the butter combination and the egg whites, it’s time to fold the whole lot collectively gently and adorn the batter with jewel-toned summer season fruit
1. Add egg white combination in three additions alternately with flour combination, starting and ending with egg white combination, folding by hand till simply mixed after every addition. Gently unfold batter into ready pan. Place fruit on batter. (Don’t press fruit into batter.) Rigorously folding the egg whites in at this step is vital to a fantastic, ethereal cake. Though cherries are a conventional selection, any mixture of berries or stone fruit can be unbelievable dotted on the highest of this Bublanina.