That is the one caramel sauce recipe you’ll ever want! Make it thick to make use of as a filling or maintain it skinny for drizzling over ice cream or cheesecake. Only a few elements (and a bit of persistence) required!
Good Do-it-yourself Caramel
When you’ve been following alongside for a short while, you could be considering: “Doesn’t Sam have already got a caramel sauce recipe?” And also you’re completely proper, I do! Nevertheless, that recipe–my fast & simple salted caramel sauce–isn’t truly a actual caramel by commonplace definition. It’s nonetheless extremely tasty although, and it’s the proper quick and easy caramel for drizzling over brownie sundaes (yum).
Right now’s recipe is a real caramel. It begins with a granulated sugar base (an indicator of actual caramel — like my selfmade caramel sweet!) that cooks slowly till it turns into a wonderfully golden and thick sauce that’s simply wonderful. The preparation is a bit totally different from my different recipe, however it’s nonetheless pretty fast and straightforward.
5 issues to find out about this recipe:
- Customizable consistency: use much less cream for a thick sauce or extra for a thinner sauce.
- Makes an awesome salted caramel: I embody directions on how a lot salt so as to add relying in your desire and supposed function.
- Requires persistence: caramelization takes time! Don’t stroll away out of your range and don’t crank up the warmth to hurry issues up. You have to be used to this recommendation in case you’ve made any of my sweet recipes 😊
- Sweet thermometer required: I understand how intimidating it may be to whip one in every of these out, however I promise this caramel is straightforward! Many recipes simply go by visible cues and scent, however I like utilizing a thermometer to be as correct as attainable and so everybody will be profitable.
Earlier than we begin, let’s shortly go over which model of this sauce it is best to make to your supposed use.
Thick VS. Skinny Caramel Sauce
The wonderful thing about my recipe is I embody an choice to make the caramel thicker or thinner, in response to your desire or recipe. A thicker caramel that may very well be used for caramelitas has been excessive on my record of requests.
The thicker possibility makes use of much less cream and has a thick and chewy, taffy-like consistency that’s nice for dipping apple slices (however not making caramel apples–extra on this beneath). I’ve used this model for filling alfajores and macarons; nonetheless, at room temperature it’s going to unfold and spill out, so it’s finest to nonetheless use a dam. I speak about utilizing this sauce for a cake within the FAQ part beneath.
The traditional recipe, as written, continues to be fairly thick regardless of being the thinner of the 2. It can unfold and spill over any flat edge. I have a tendency to make use of it in desserts that should be refrigerated (like my salted caramel cheesecake–coming quickly!) because it’s simpler to chunk and chew when chilly. Use this model for drizzling over ice cream, a slice of cake, or in your morning espresso.
What You Want
My caramel sauce makes use of traditional caramel elements (sugar, butter, cream) plus just a few others for taste and correct consistency.
- Granulated sugar. Whereas my fast & simple salted caramel sauce recipe begins with brown sugar (that’s one of many issues that makes it so fast & simple!), we’re sticking with conventional granulated sugar in the present day.
- Heavy cream: Your caramel might be thinner the extra cream you add. For this recipe and traditional caramel sauce (finest for draping over ice cream or a slice of cheesecake), we use ½ cup (120ml) cream. Nevertheless, for a really thick, chewy caramel (however one which’s nonetheless viscous), you’ll be able to scale back to ¼ cup (60ml) heavy cream. In contrast to my different caramel recipe, this recipe provides the cream on the finish; I clarify the reasoning behind this in additional element beneath.
- Water. Water is important to assist the sugar dissolve and warmth evenly. It additionally prevents crystallization.
- Corn syrup. That is non-obligatory, however I add corn syrup (not the identical factor as excessive fructose corn syrup!) to forestall the sauce from turning grainy. Golden syrup can even work.
- Vanilla + salt. Each vanilla extract and salt improve the flavour of the caramel. Don’t skip both!
Additionally, you will want a sweet thermometer and, optimally, a pastry brush. We’ll be heating our caramel sauce to 340-345F (171-173C), so a sweet thermometer is a should right here (an prompt learn shouldn’t be really helpful). We’ll use the pastry brush to scrub up any crystallization that happens whereas the sugar is dissolving.
SAM’S TIP: If you would like a salted caramel sauce, use ½ teaspoon of salt. When you simply need common caramel, use ¼ teaspoon.
Keep in mind, that is simply an outline of the elements I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the submit!
Tips on how to Make Caramel Sauce
- Stir collectively the sugar, water, corn syrup, and salt over medium low warmth till the sugar dissolves. Use a moist pastry brush to swipe away any sugar crystals that kind on the edges of the pot throughout this course of.
- Improve the warmth to medium and let the caramel cook dinner WITHOUT STIRRING till it reaches 340-345F (171-173C) and turns a caramel coloration. This could take round quarter-hour–be affected person!
- Take away the caramel from the warmth and slowly drizzle within the cream whereas stirring. Be very cautious as you do that; there might be numerous fizzing and bubbles!
- Stir within the butter one piece at a time, then add the vanilla and stir till integrated. Let cool earlier than utilizing and revel in!
Including the cream on the finish vs. the start: Including the cream on the finish of the cooking course of is intentional! I do that as a result of it’s vital to first cook dinner the sugar to the purpose of caramelization; throughout this course of, the warmth breaks down the sugar molecules and provides us the distinct caramel style and amber coloration. If we added the cream in the beginning with the sugar, the sugar simply wouldn’t caramelize as successfully. Plus it will decrease the temperature of the sugar because it cooks. So including the cream on the finish is finest.
Continuously Requested Questions
Sadly even the thicker model of this caramel isn’t perfect for topping or filling a cake, because it’s nonetheless vulnerable to leaking out and spilling over the sting, even with a dam.
Sadly this caramel (even the thicker model) is not going to follow apples like a standard caramel apple would. When you’d prefer to see a recipe for caramel apples, please let me know within the feedback beneath!
As a result of it comprises cream, caramel sauce must be refrigerated. You may retailer this sauce in an hermetic, sealed container within the fridge for as much as 2 weeks. You would additionally freeze it for a number of months.
I developed the thicker model of this caramel sauce by request to be used in my caramelitas (that is the precise quantity wanted for that the recipe!). When you plan to do that too, simply know that the caramel layer received’t be fairly as distinct and a few sinks to the underside, however it’s nonetheless a really tasty dessert, and it means you don’t have to make use of store-bought caramels!
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe beneath! When you do that recipe, you’ll want to tag me on Instagram, and you may as well discover me on YouTube and Fb
That is the one caramel sauce recipe you will ever want! Make it thick for filling cookies or maintain it skinny for drizzling over sundaes or cheesecake. Simply 25 minutes to make!
Servings: 1 cup
Stop your display from going darkish
Notice: melted sugar could be very scorching, don’t contact the caramel till it’s cooled.
Mix sugar, water, corn syrup, and salt in a small saucepan. Cook dinner over medium-low warmth, stirring often, till sugar is dissolved. If any sugar crystals kind on the edges of the pan, dip a pastry brush in water and use it to comb away any sugar crystals.
1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar, ¼ cup (60 ml) water, 2 Tablespoons mild corn syrup, ¼ – ½ teaspoon salt
Flip warmth to medium and cook dinner with out stirring till combination turns caramel in coloration (this could take about quarter-hour or so) and reaches a temperature of 340-345F (171-173C).
Take away from warmth and really slowly drizzle in cream whereas stirring. Combination will bubble rather a lot, use warning.
½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
As soon as cream is integrated, stir in butter, one piece at a time, till combination is easy.
3 Tablespoons (42 g) unsalted butter
Add vanilla and stir till integrated.
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Permit caramel to chill earlier than utilizing (until serving heat over ice cream, then simply let it cool till heat sufficient to eat).
Caramel could also be made with out corn syrup however is extra prone to end up grainy, which is why I like to recommend together with it. You would additionally substitute golden syrup.
Cream/Making a Thick Caramel Sauce
For a thicker caramel sauce, chances are you’ll scale back the heavy cream to ¼ cup (60ml). This makes a chewier, taffy-like caramel that can be utilized for filling caramelitas or alfajores.
Serving: 1cup | Energy: 1618kcal | Carbohydrates: 237g | Protein: 4g | Fats: 78g | Saturated Fats: 49g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 20g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 225mg | Sodium: 651mg | Potassium: 137mg | Sugar: 238g | Vitamin A: 2799IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 0.2mg
Dietary data is predicated on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.