Craving one thing candy? Indulge within the do-it-yourself goodness of old school Cocadas, a candy Mexican coconut sweet! These chewy coconut treats are tremendous simple to make, with simply 4 simple substances, and are totally irresistible.
Why You’ll Love These Chewy, Candy Cocadas!
Do you’ve got a weak point for coconut desserts? Then this recipe is looking your identify. Right here’s why you’ll love making do-it-yourself cocadas:
- Taste: These cocadas are a coconut lover’s dream! The wealthy, tropical taste of shredded coconut takes middle stage in these homespun candies.
- Texture: Moist and delicate, chewy but delicate, caramelized on the skin and light-weight on the within… these coconut candies are every little thing you hope they’re and extra!
- Previous-Customary: Like mazapan sweet, Cocadas are a beloved, long-standing custom. One chunk of this nostalgic deal with and also you’ll see why.
- Easy Components: You solely want 4 primary substances to whip up this recipe, retaining this do-it-yourself sweet simple in your pockets. When you have a bag of shredded coconut, chances are you’ll have already got all of the substances you want readily available!
The place Are Cocadas From?
Cocadas are a basic Mexican sweet that you just’ll discover all throughout Latin American nations, together with Mexico, Colombia, and Venezuela to call just some. They’re offered in markets and bakeries, and naturally, baked from scratch in lots of a kitchen! Relying on the world, you can find varied flavors and textures, usually together with fruits, nuts, and spices together with the fundamental substances.
What Are Cocadas Made Of?
You solely want 4 primary substances (that you just most likely have already got in your kitchen) to make this candy little snack. For full ingredient quantities and instructions, scroll to the printable recipe card on the backside of this put up.
- Egg Whites: These present construction and assist bind the substances collectively, giving the cocadas the right texture.
- Sugar: I take advantage of each common sugar and light-weight brown sugar, for a touch of caramel-like taste.
- Shredded Coconut: The star ingredient, unsweetened shredded coconut offers cocadas their tropical style and chewy consistency.
- Yellow Meals Coloring: That is utterly optionally available, nevertheless it does give the cocadas a reasonably, golden coloration.
What’s the Distinction Between Coconut Flakes and Shredded Coconut?
You might be questioning if coconut flakes and shredded coconut are the identical factor. Whereas related, they’re in reality somewhat completely different! Coconut flakes are bigger, crispier items of coconut meat, whereas shredded coconut is extra finely grated. Coconut flakes are sometimes used as a garnish, whereas shredded coconut is extra moist and is used all types of recipes, particularly desserts like this one!
How you can Make Cocadas
Making these cute coconut candies is so easy, you’ll wish to make them on a regular basis! This cooking methodology is unquestionably a low-investment, high-reward state of affairs.
- Whisk the Egg Whites and Sugars: Whisk the egg whites, gentle brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a bowl till simply mixed. Don’t whisk in an excessive amount of air, or the feel will likely be off!
- Fold in Coconut: Gently fold the shredded coconut into the egg-white combination.
- Add Meals Coloring: Divide the combination in half. If desired, stir yellow meals coloring into one bowl, and go away the opposite plain.
- Bake and Serve: Drop scoops of each mixtures on the baking sheet, leaving area between them. Bake at 350°F for 15 to twenty minutes till golden on prime and on the sides. Cool for 20 to half-hour earlier than serving.
Ideas and Variations
By following the following pointers, you’ll be properly in your option to having fun with your new favourite coconut dessert!
- Combine Gently: When combining the egg whites and sugars, don’t overmix, or the egg whites will turn out to be too ethereal, and provides the cocadas a meringue-like texture fairly than a delicate, chewy one.
- Cookie Scoop: Use a small cookie scoop to measure the cocadas combination onto the baking sheet. This helps guarantee even baking.
- Meals Coloring: When including meals coloring, begin with a small quantity and regularly enhance it as wanted to get the proper shade. Don’t overdo it, or the meals coloring might have an effect on the style and texture of the cocadas.
- Area Out: Go away sufficient area between the cocadas on the baking sheet to permit for even warmth distribution. This prevents them from sticking collectively and ensures they bake evenly.
- Cool Down: Don’t overlook to let the cocadas cool on the baking sheet for 20 to half-hour after baking. This helps them set and develop their remaining texture.
How you can Retailer Mexican Coconut Sweet
To retailer, cool them down utterly after which place them in an hermetic container in layers, with parchment paper between the layers to stop sticking. Retailer them at room temperature for 2 or three days, or within the fridge for as much as one week.
Can I Freeze These?
Certain! You may bundle these the identical approach you’d for refrigerating, and hold them within the freezer as a substitute. They may hold for as much as two months. Thaw them out within the fridge earlier than serving.
Extra Coconut Desserts
Yield: 25 servings
Cocadas (Mexican Coconut Sweet)
Craving one thing candy? Indulge within the do-it-yourself goodness of old school Cocadas! These chewy Mexican coconut candies are simple to make and totally irresistible.
- 3 massive egg whites
- ¼ cup gentle brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Yellow meals coloring, optionally available
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, put aside.
In a medium-sized stainless-steel bowl, combine to mix the egg whites, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Whisk till simply mixed. (Do not incorporate numerous air into the combination or the cocacadas will prove like meringue.)
Add the shredded coconut and use a silicone spatula to softly fold it into the egg white combination, till properly mixed.
OPTIONAL: Divide the coconut combination into two parts. Add 1-3 drops of yellow meals coloring to 1 portion and blend till properly mixed. It ought to be utterly yellow.
Use a small cookie scoop to put scoops of the mixtures on the lined baking sheet, leaving 2 to three” of area between every one. If you do not have a cookie scoop, use your arms to roll balls the scale of 2-3 tablespoons with the combination and pat them down barely on the baking sheet. Half of the cocadas ought to be yellow and the opposite half ought to be white.
Bake for 15 to twenty minutes, till golden on prime and across the edges. Take away the tray from the oven and set it apart to chill for 20 to half-hour earlier than serving.
Combine Gently: When combining the egg whites and sugars, don’t overmix, or the egg whites will turn out to be too ethereal, and provides the cocadas a meringue-like texture fairly than a delicate, chewy one.
Meals Coloring: When including meals coloring, begin with a small quantity and regularly enhance it as wanted to get the proper shade. Don’t overdo it, or the meals coloring might have an effect on the style and texture of the cocadas.
Area Out: Go away sufficient area between the cocadas on the baking sheet to permit for even warmth distribution. This prevents them from sticking collectively and ensures they bake evenly.
Cool Down: Don’t overlook to let the cocadas cool on the baking sheet for 20 to half-hour after baking. This helps them set and develop their remaining texture.
Serving: 1 cocada, Energy: 92kcal, Carbohydrates: 7g, Protein: 1g, Fats: 7g, Saturated Fats: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.1g, Monounsaturated Fats: 0.3g, Sodium: 11mg, Potassium: 70mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin C: 0.2mg, Calcium: 5mg, Iron: 0.4mg
This put up might include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.