Commander’s Palace is a New Orleans establishment, they usually make fabulous seafood gumbo. Commander’s Palace Seafood gumbo is a medley of seafood and greens, together with shrimp, crab, oysters, onions, garlic, peppers, and okra. You don’t know what you might be lacking in the event you haven’t tried the most effective gumbo.
This put up accommodates affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
About Commander’s Palace Restaurant
For nicely over 100 years, Commander’s Palace has been a commemorated New Orleans landmark within the Backyard District. The restaurant has earned seven James Beard Basis awards. However there’s way more to this legendary restaurant than its haute Creole delicacies and notorious 25-cent lunchtime martini specials.
Commander’s Palace has been serving up basic Cajun and Creole recipes for generations, ready by a few of the best cooks in Louisiana, together with Emeril Lagasse, Paul Prudhomme, Jamie Shannon, Tory McPhail, and Meg Bickford.
Some of the well-liked dishes on the menu is the seafood gumbo. No journey to New Orleans is full with no go to to Commander’s Palace for a bowl of this fabulous gumbo. Their eating room is elegant with glass chandeliers and wealthy, plush chairs, and the hand-painted murals within the eating room are pretty.
Nevertheless, in the event you can’t make it to the Massive Simple, you may nonetheless savor the style of this dish by cooking up a batch at house utilizing the Louisiana seafood gumbo recipe beneath.
At its coronary heart, gumbo is just a stew. This Creole recipe originated in Lousianna on the flip of the twentieth century and is so ingrained within the space’s tradition that it’s listed because the state’s official delicacies.
Historically, gumbo was made out of something that walks, flies, or swims, however nowadays, the most well-liked variations are hen, sausage, or seafood.
So, what’s often in gumbo in addition to meat or fish?
First off, all gumbos comprise onions, bell peppers, and celery. These three greens are so prevalent in Cajun and Creole cooking that they’re typically referred to as the ‘Holy Trinity’ of the delicacies.
Along with the veggies, gumbos at all times comprise some thickener. Most recipes name for utilizing okra along with filé powder or roux. Okra is a well-liked vegetable all through the South. Filé powder comes from the leaves of the American sassafras tree. Roux is a combination of flour and fats.
The elements used for thickening on this recipe are roux and okra.
Isn’t Gumbo Simply One other Title For Jambalaya?
Don’t be confused in the case of gumbo and jambalaya. Though each are well-liked Lousiana dishes, they aren’t the identical factor.
Jambalaya is a barely older recipe than gumbo and first started showing in New Orleans’s French Quarter within the late 1800s.
In addition to the recipe’s origins, essentially the most distinct distinction is how every dish makes use of rice. Gumbo is served on high of white rice, whereas white rice is cooked in the identical pot as the remainder of the jambalaya.
The cooking technique for jambalaya creates a naturally thicker stew and eliminates the necessity for added thickeners.
Seafood Gumbo Elements
Right here’s a listing of what you will have to make seafood gumbo:
- All-purpose flour – that is to make a darkish brown roux
- Vegetable shortening – You need to use shortening or vegetable oil
- Contemporary garlic cloves
- Onion – white onions are really helpful. Yellow onions are okay to make use of.
- Crimson or Inexperienced Bell pepper
- Peeled uncooked shrimp (recent is finest, however frozen is okay)
- Tomato sauce
- Crab meat (claw meat is most well-liked)
- Bunch Parsley
- Bay leaves
- Okra – recent okra is finest
- Oysters with juice
Find out how to Make Seafood Gumbo
Listed here are the steps for making this copycat Commanders Palace gumbo recipe:
- Prepare dinner flour and shortening in a big pot over medium-high warmth till the flour turns brown and begins to scent nutty. Stir often.
- Add garlic and prepare dinner till golden brown.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and celery, and prepare dinner till clear, scraping the perimeters and backside of the pot.
- Decrease warmth to low, and add shrimp and tomato sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes, stir in water, and mix nicely.
- Add all different elements besides okra and oysters. Prepare dinner for about half-hour.
- Add okra, and prepare dinner till the okra turns brilliant inexperienced.
- Add oysters and prepare dinner for 10 minutes.
- Serve the gumbo in a soup bowl over steamed rice.
Ideas For Cooking and Storing the Roux For This Louisiana Seafood Gumbo Recipe
- Rule the roux. Watch out when making your roux. Ideally, you intention for a darkish, melted chocolate colour, however it’s straightforward to burn the flour. Warmth very slowly till it reaches the specified colour. It will possibly take as much as an hour to succeed in the proper colour, however bear in mind, you may at all times use an under-colored roux, however you may’t use one you burn. If black spots seem, you’ve burnt the roux and should begin over.
- Don’t waste an awesome roux. Making a roux takes time. You may double or triple the quantity you want for the seafood gumbo recipe after which retailer the remaining in an hermetic container within the freezer.
- Use a wood spoon. Use a wooden spoon. You’ll be stirring for a very long time. A metallic spoon will warmth up and turn into uncomfortable.
What to serve with Gumbo
Now that you’ve got made a scrumptious pot of gumbo in your personal kitchen, what do you have to serve with this? I like to recommend a chilly beer. Seize some Abita beer if you wish to get pleasure from gumbo just like the residents of New Orleans. Listed here are a number of extra solutions.
- Rice – Scorching buttered rice is ideal to serve with Gumbo.
- Potato Salad – Individuals in Northern Louisiana get pleasure from a scoop of potato salad with their gumbo. A mustard-based potato salad is one it is best to strive together with your gumbo.
- Pickled Okra – The brine of the pickled okra is a superb palate cleanser.
- Sliced inexperienced onions – Some folks like to sprinkle inexperienced onions on their gumbo when serving it.
Find out how to Retailer and Reheat Seafood Gumbo Leftovers
Storing: Permit the gumbo to chill to room temperature for not more than 2 hours. Switch the gumbo to an hermetic container, leaving about an inch of house on the high to broaden in the event you plan on freezing. Retailer within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Freezing: Permit the gumbo to chill to room temperature for not more than 2 hours. Switch the gumbo to a freezer-safe container, leaving about an inch of house on the high to permit for growth. Seafood gumbo may be frozen for as much as 3 months for highest quality. Thaw it within the fridge in a single day.
Reheating: Switch the gumbo to a pot and warmth over medium-low warmth, stirring often till heat. All the time make sure the gumbo reaches an inside temperature of at the least 165°F when reheating. Overcooking could cause seafood to turn into inflexible, so keep away from boiling it vigorously.
Love Cajun and Creole meals? Attempt these recipes
Extra Fantastic Eating Seafood Recipes
Get recent recipes as quickly as they’re obtainable by friending us on Fb.
Commanders Palace Seafood Gumbo
You can also make commanders palace seafood gumbo with this recipe
- 6 tablespoons all goal flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 kilos shrimp peeled
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 quarts water
- 1 kilos crabmeat claw most well-liked
- 1 bunch chopped Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 ounces okra frozen
- 1/2 pint Oysters with Juice
- salt and pepper to style
Make a roux with the flour and shortening. Prepare dinner flour and shortening in a big pot over medium-high warmth till the flour turns brown and begins to scent nutty.
Add garlic and prepare dinner till golden brown. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery and prepare dinner till clear.
Flip warmth right down to low, and add shrimp and tomato sauce, simmer 10 minutes, stir in water, and mix nicely.
Flip warmth right down to simmer and add all different elements besides okra and oysters.
Prepare dinner for about half-hour add okra, and prepare dinner till the okra turns brilliant inexperienced.
Add oysters and prepare dinner 10 minutes longer. Serve in a soup bowl over steamed rice.
- Don’t use a forged iron pot to prepare dinner the soup, it should discolor the soup. Stainless-steel, or a ceramic pot like Le Cruset is really helpful.
Energy: 650kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 71g | Fats: 30g | Saturated Fats: 7g | Ldl cholesterol: 621mg | Sodium: 3073mg | Potassium: 969mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2225IU | Vitamin C: 68.8mg | Calcium: 497mg | Iron: 8.2mg