My family-favorite (and really easy) dill dip recipe is made utterly from-scratch in minutes! No pre-made mixes or fancy instruments wanted–simply 5 easy components and one bowl.
Fast & Simple Dill Dip Recipe
Regardless of its easy and unassuming look, dill dip is a celebration meals staple in my household. It’s merely not a celebration except somebody’s bringing dill dip (my dad won’t even present up if there’s not a assure there might be some there). Whereas it will not be as flashy as buffalo hen dip and taco dip, it’s each bit as satisfying and takes simply minutes to make from begin to end. It’s excellent for last-minute plans!
What’s To Love About This Recipe
- Easy. There’s no chopping concerned right here; merely add all of your components to a bowl and stir them collectively.
- Nice for making upfront. And the flavour will get even higher the longer it sits!
- Just some minutes to make. Not like your typical spinach artichoke dip, although that’s one other household favourite round right here too!
- Pairs properly with a wide range of dippers. We like to make use of rye bread for dipping (chips and bagel slices are additionally nice dipper choices). After all, you possibly can additionally all the time make your individual bread bowl too! I embrace just a few extra recommendations under.
This recipe is considered one of my household’s favorites. I’m truthfully undecided the place it originated, since my mother’s copy is a scanned typewritten recipe with no quotation. She’s been making it for many years at this level although, so I really feel OK claiming it as our household recipe. I hope you like it as a lot as we do! 💜
For those who like easy, fundamental recipes, you’ll actually take pleasure in this one. Simply 5 components and 5 minutes.
- Bitter cream. This acts because the creamy base for our dip. I like to recommend utilizing full-fat bitter cream, since low-fat may result in a runnier dip.
- Mayo. Mayo provides richness, creaminess, and full-bodied taste. Use your favourite model (it’s value noting I don’t just like the outcomes when made with a pure avocado mayo); I like to make use of an olive oil-based mayo for my broccoli salad, and that can work simply high quality right here!
- Dill. I exploit dried dill weed. If you wish to use recent, then you will want extra; about 4 tablespoons.
- Dried minced onion. Be sure to keep on with dried minced onion right here, since recent could be a bit too potent.
- Seasoned salt. This usually incorporates salt and different spices like garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. I hold it readily available for seasoning grilled meats and roasted veggies, and for this recipe, after all! Whereas I’m personally an enormous fan of salt myself, I feel low-sodium seasoned salt works finest right here. It permits us to get a most punch of taste with out being overwhelmed by saltiness.
SAM’S TIP: Need to make a lemon dill dip? Stir in some lemon juice and lemon zest! The freshness of the lemon enhances the creaminess of the dip so properly. Notice this isn’t the identical factor as tzatziki. Although for those who’d like a recipe for that, let me know.
As all the time, that is simply an summary of the components I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
The best way to Make Dill Dip
- Stir all components collectively in a big bowl till properly mixed. For those who plan to serve your dip in one other bowl, then you possibly can switch it to that bowl now.
- Cowl and place within the fridge to sit back till able to serve.
- Serve with veggies, bread, or chips and revel in!
SAM’S TIP: I like to recommend letting your dip sit within the fridge for at the least half an hour to let the flavors develop. You possibly can skip this step and serve it straight away, nevertheless it really has the most effective taste for those who let it sit for a bit.
Continuously Requested Questions
I haven’t tried it however I believe you possibly can substitute the bitter cream for plain, full-fat greek yogurt; nevertheless, your dip will possible be much less creamy and a probable bit extra bitter than ordinary. If that’s high quality with you, then go for it!
Veggies: sliced cucumbers, child carrots, grape tomatoes, sliced radishes, celery sticks, bell pepper, broccoli, or cauliflower.
Snack meals: kettle chips, pita chips, sourdough crackers, tortilla chips, or pretzels.
Bread: rye bread is a should, however different good choices embrace pumpernickel, sourdough, pita, or artisan bread. You could possibly additionally serve your dip in a bread bowl!
I haven’t tried freezing this dip, so I can’t say for certain how it might go. I fear that the bitter cream and mayo would separate when thawing although, and the feel wouldn’t be as clean and creamy.
For those who strive freezing your dill dip, please let me know the way it goes for you!
On the lookout for a dessert dip? Attempt my fruit dip subsequent!
Take pleasure in!
Dill Dip Recipe
This straightforward dill dip recipe is made utterly from-scratch in minutes! No pre-made mixes or fancy instruments wanted–simply 5 easy components and one bowl.
Servings: 10 servings (about ⅓ cup per serving, recipe makes 3 cups)
Stop your display from going darkish
In a big bowl, mix mayo, bitter cream, dill weed, seasoned salt, and minced onion.
1 cup (236 g) mayonnaise, 2 cups (453 g) bitter cream (one 16 oz container), 4 teaspoons dried dill weed, 1 Tablespoon low-sodium seasoned salt, 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
Stir properly till completely mixed.
Retailer within the fridge in an hermetic container till able to serve. Dip could also be served instantly, however is finest after chilling for at the least half-hour.
Reduce or tear rye bread into bite-sized items and serve on the aspect for dipping.
2 loaves Rye bread
Select your favourite selection: seeded, unseeded, or marble. I usually purchase a mixture. One other nice possibility is to purchase a spherical loaf of rye bread, reduce ⅓ off the highest, then hole it out and rip the within into bite-sized items for serving on the aspect.
Different dipping choices
Child carrots, celery, cherry or grape tomatoes, crackers, and tortilla chips are all nice dipping choices.
Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Rye bread needs to be saved tightly wrapped at room temperature.
Serving: 1serving | Energy: 475kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 7g | Fats: 28g | Saturated Fats: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 10g | Monounsaturated Fats: 7g | Ldl cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 1230mg | Potassium: 88mg | Fiber: 11g | Vitamin A: 900IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 5.4mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and needs to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.
I initially printed this recipe in December 2018. The recipe stays the identical however I’ve added new images and extra detailed directions within the publish.