Filled with recent herbs and spices, this crispy baked falafel recipe is bursting with taste. Stuff it right into a pita wrap with all of the fixings, and revel in!
I’ll always remember the primary time I attempted falafel. Stuffed into pita bread with recent herbs, crisp veggies, and an enormous slather of hummus, it was crispy, wealthy, and bursting with earthy, fragrant taste. I devoured all the wrap in minutes, amazed on the medley of tastes and textures dancing throughout my tongue. Falafel has been one in every of my favourite meals ever since. I nonetheless order it out to eat every time I get the prospect, however nowadays, I extra usually make this do-it-yourself falafel recipe.
What Is Falafel?
I’m getting forward of myself. What is falafel, anyway? In case you’re not conversant in this conventional Center Japanese dish, falafel are fried balls of floor chickpeas or fava beans seasoned with herbs like parsley and cilantro and spices like coriander and cumin. They’re a well-liked avenue meals all through the Center East and Europe (for those who’re ever in Paris, make a cease at L’As du Fallafel), the place you’ll find them stuffed into pitas brimming with recent veggies, herbs, sauces, and pickles.
I’m not a fan of frying at house (to be completely trustworthy, the new oil scares me!), so as an alternative of deep frying falafel myself, I favor baking it. It nonetheless comes out deliciously crisp, so I believe it rivals any fried model. I hope you like it too!
Falafel Recipe Elements
To make this baked falafel recipe, you’ll want these key elements:
- Raw dry chickpeas – Once I was first figuring out methods to make falafel at house, I discovered that conventional falafel is made with dried, NOT canned chickpeas. In reality, the chickpeas are by no means totally cooked earlier than the falafel is shaped. As a substitute, you’ll soak them in a single day, then grind them as much as kind the falafel balls. Belief me, you don’t wish to use canned chickpeas right here! Your falafel will flip to mush.
- Shallot and garlic – They add a scrumptious savory chew! You may as well use yellow onion instead of the shallot.
- Lemon zest – It’s not conventional, however I like the brightness it provides to those patties.
- Cumin, coriander, and cayenne – For heat, fragrant taste and a kick of warmth.
- Sea salt – It punches up the wealthy taste of the herbs and spices.
- Baking powder – A pinch offers the balls the proper gentle texture.
- Cilantro and parsley – I exploit quantity to make my falafel brilliant inexperienced and flavorful. There’s no must toss the herb stems for this recipe – mix them straight into the falafel combination together with the leaves!
- Additional-virgin olive oil – It helps the falafel change into good and crisp within the oven.
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Step one to this methodology for methods to make falafel is soaking the chickpeas. You’ll must plan forward right here. The chickpeas must soak for twenty-four hours, or at the very least in a single day, earlier than you kind the balls. Drain and rinse them earlier than continuing with the recipe.
As soon as the chickpeas soak, pulse them along with the opposite elements. Add the chickpeas to the meals processor with the shallot, garlic, herbs, spices, lemon zest, baking powder, olive oil, and salt.
Course of till the elements are finely floor, however not pureed.
Subsequent, kind the falafel balls. Scoop up the chickpea and herb combination with a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop, then use your fingers to kind it into balls or patties. In the event that they’re not holding collectively, give the combination a couple of extra pulses within the meals processor.
Lastly, bake! Prepare the patties on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and drizzle them generously with olive oil. Severely, don’t maintain again on the oil right here! We’re not frying, bear in mind, so drizzle of oil is important for serving to the balls bake up good and crisp.
Switch the pan to a 400°F oven. Bake for 14 minutes, then flip and bake till the falafel is golden brown and crisp. That’s it!
Finest Falafel Recipe Ideas
- Used dried, NOT canned chickpeas. Actually, canned chickpeas will NOT work! They’ll throw off the ratios on this recipe, they usually’ll make the patties too moist and mushy. As a way to obtain the sunshine texture of conventional falafel, you MUST use dried chickpeas right here. Soak them in a single day (however don’t prepare dinner them!) earlier than making the recipe.
- Drizzle the patties generously with oil earlier than baking. As a result of we’re baking falafel right here and never frying it, we’re routinely utilizing a lot much less oil than we’d in a conventional falafel recipe. However oil is a crucial ingredient in falafel. It helps it change into crisp on the surface whereas staying moist inside. To realize this scrumptious steadiness, it’s worthwhile to drizzle your patties generously with oil. Don’t maintain again!
- Don’t pack your patties too tightly. It’s tempting to actually pack the patties collectively tightly, however doing so will make them robust and dense. Kind the falafel balls gently, and in case your combination isn’t holding collectively, pulse it a bit extra within the meals processor till it sticks collectively. If it’s nonetheless too crumbly, pop it within the fridge to relax for half-hour earlier than shaping and baking the patties.
- Make a double batch, and freeze the extras. These guys preserve properly within the freezer, so go forward and make a double batch to have readily available for salads, bowls, or wraps. To reheat frozen falafel, pop them in a 400°F oven for about 10 minutes, till they’re crisp and heated by. For extra make-ahead meal concepts, take a look at these 31 Wholesome Freezer Meals and these 60 Wholesome Meal Prep Concepts.
My favourite option to serve falafel is in a pita wrap. I stuff it into the pita bread with a slather of hummus or a drizzle of tahini sauce, veggies like chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and/or lettuce, pickled onions, and recent herbs. Different sauces and spreads are nice right here too. Strive utilizing tzatziki as an alternative of the hummus, or drizzle on cilantro lime dressing as an alternative of tahini sauce.
Not within the temper for a falafel sandwich? Serve the patties on a salad or grain bowl as an alternative, or add them to a mezze platter. They’re unbelievable with few dips or spreads, like muhammara, baba ganoush, or do-it-yourself labneh, and a salad or two. Strive pairing them with any of those:
Spherical out the platter with plenty of recent pita bread!
Extra Favourite Vegetarian and Vegan Dinners
In case you love this crispy baked falafel recipe, strive one in every of these tasty vegetarian or vegan meals subsequent:
Falafel are flavorful balls of floor chickpeas, herbs, and spices. In Center Japanese cooking, they’re usually fried, however right here, I bake them for a straightforward do-it-yourself twist. Serve them in a pita wrap with all of the fixings, or discover extra serving strategies within the publish above.
- 1 cup raw chickpeas, soaked 24 hours, drained, rinsed, and patted dry* (see observe)
- ½ cup chopped shallot or yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon floor cumin
- 1 teaspoon floor coriander
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped recent cilantro leaves and stems, patted dry
- 1 cup chopped recent parsley leaves and stems, patted dry
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Forestall your display from going darkish
Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a big baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a big meals processor, place the chickpeas (observe: the chickpeas could have expanded in the course of the soak time, remember to use ALL of them right here), shallot, garlic, lemon zest, cumin, coriander, salt, cayenne, baking powder, cilantro, parsley, and olive oil. Pulse till properly mixed however not pureed. Use a spatula to scrape down the perimeters of the bowl as wanted.
Use a 2-tablespoon scoop and your fingers to kind the combination into 12 to fifteen thick patties (watch out to not pack them too tight or your falafel shall be dense). If they are not holding collectively, give the combination a couple of extra pulses within the meals processor.
Place the patties on the baking sheet. Drizzle generously with olive oil (that is the important thing to creating these moist and crisp since we’re not frying) and bake for 14 minutes. Flip and bake for 10 to 12 minutes extra or till golden brown and crisp on the surface. Throughout the previous few minutes of baking, wrap the pita in foil and heat within the oven.
Assemble pitas with a slather of hummus, diced veggies, falafel, herbs, pickled pink onions, and beneficiant drizzles of tahini sauce.
*Canned chickpeas can’t be substituted on this recipe or your falafel will prove mushy.