This put up might include affiliate hyperlinks. Please see my full disclosure for particulars.
Hello Daring Bakers!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE: This Full Breakfast Tart Recipe cradles all your favourite wake-up meals in a layer of buttery puff pastry. Savory sausage, cheese, and shiny cherry tomatoes are baked with eggs to kind a tempting savory tart that will likely be as welcome at lunch or dinner as it’s in your morning meal. The beautiful presentation and colours make it an ideal alternative for a festive brunch, and since the prepped components are put proper within the tart pan, it’s fast to place collectively and a cinch to wash up.
Be sure you have a go at making the puff pastry! You don’t should be intimidated once you use my mum’s foolproof recipe. However when you’re pressed for time, use a store-bought kind that’s made with butter.
Desk of Contents
What’s a Full Breakfast Tart Recipe?
- This Full Breakfast Tart Recipe is an egg, cheese, sausage, and tomato combination baked in puff pastry.
- On this breakfast tart, the eggs are cracked immediately over the sausage, cheese, and tomato. This differs from a quiche, the place eggs are blended with cream first. Utilizing simply the eggs within the Full Breakfast Tart makes it lighter and fewer wealthy than a quiche.
- Types of egg tarts return so far as historic Greece and Rome. As we speak several types of savory pastry containing eggs are common everywhere in the world, they usually’re common since you get an ideal serving of morning protein in a single one delicious and handy slice.
Key Elements and Why
- The Best Puff Pastry Recipe
- Butter: You want your butter to be frozen for this method to work! So pop it within the freezer for no less than 2 hours, ideally in a single day. I all the time use salted butter except specified in any other case. You should use additionally unsalted butter right here.
- Ice water: You need to hold the whole lot as cool as attainable to forestall the butter from melting earlier than baking.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice helps to tenderize the dough.
- All-purpose flour: AP flour will function the bottom of the puff pastry.
- Salt: A little bit sprint of salt makes the whole lot style higher!
- Sausage provides savory taste, heft, and extra protein to the tart.
- Use floor sausage meat, or purchase sausages and take away the meat from the casings.
- You may go for breakfast sausage, or go for candy or spicy Italian (both pork or hen) sausage, or garlic sausage.
- Cherry tomatoes add zippy taste, texture, and wonderful shade to the tart.
Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Sharp cheddar provides the puff pastry breakfast tart an unbeatable tangy, salty, nutty style.
- The cheese provides the tart a creamier texture.
- For finest outcomes, shred up a block of your favourite cheddar. Prepackaged shredded cheese is handled with anti-caking agent to not clump within the bag, and this additive means it doesn’t soften as nicely. Additionally usually pre-shredded cheese cheese could be lesser high quality.
- Eggs are the core of the tart, and the separation of the yolks and the whites provides the tart a enjoyable, shocking texture and an fascinating look.
- Use giant eggs right here, and use room temperature eggs. Right here’s How one can Get Room Temperature Eggs.
How one can Make a Full Breakfast Tart
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Blind bake the pastry to keep away from a soggy crust:
- Put together toppings:
- Whereas the puff pastry is baking, sautee the sausage till nicely finished.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the pastry, add the tomato and cooked sausage. Crack the eggs over the opposite components.
- End baking:
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 14 to 18 minutes till egg whites are set.
- If you happen to like softer-cooked, jammy yolks, take the tart out nearer to the 14-minute mark. If you happen to favor hard-cooked yolks, prepare dinner for the total 18 minutes.
- Serve heat with chopped parsley on high.
Can I Make a Full Breakfast Tart in Advance?
The tart is finest loved proper after baking, however you may make the puff pastry dough forward of time.
- Wrap the dough nicely in cling movie. It’ll hold within the fridge for as much as three days or the freezer for one month.
- To defrost frozen dough, let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
How one can Retailer a Full Breakfast Tart
You may hold leftovers refrigerated for at some point. Reheat in a 300°F (150°C) oven for 10 minutes.
Can I make Full Breakfast Tart with one other crust?
Is it tough to learn to make puff pastry?
- It’s not tough to make puff pastry with my mum’s step-by-step directions on The Best Puff Pastry Recipe. Be sure you watch the video that can make the pastry-making course of clear and easy.
- Not like most recipes that require a lot of folding of the dough, our recipe makes use of a frozen butter method that makes issues easier and faster.
- Be sure you let the dough relaxation for no less than an hour earlier than rolling it out. This offers the gluten an opportunity to calm down and makes the pastry simpler to work with.
Why did my puff pastry prove oily?
- Preserving the pastry chilly and placing it in a very popular oven is the important thing to retaining the butter within the dough and never having it leak out.
- Be sure you use onerous dairy butter as a substitute of spreadable butter or whipped butter. Vegan baking butter (not unfold) also needs to work nicely.
- The key on this puff pastry recipe is the FROZEN butter. All of the water content material will evaporate throughout baking to assist your pastry rise and yield a flaky texture.
You may grate butter when you’ve got time and blend it with some flour then freeze these butter curls. This manner you possibly can bake anytime you need and your butter is certain to be chilly sufficient each time.
- If it’s heat the place you reside or when you really feel your pastry begins to soften at any level throughout preparation, let it chill within the fridge for 20-Half-hour or so then proceed.
- And make sure to not over-handle the pastry! That causes a separation of fats from butter to trigger oily outcomes.
Gemma’s Professional Chef Ideas
- You should use store-bought puff pastry, or make your individual with The Best Puff Pastry Recipe.
- If you happen to don’t have pie weights, use dried beans, rice or granulated sugar when blind-baking the crust.
- Vegan sausage can be utilized as a substitute of standard sausage to make it vegetarian. And don’t overlook to take a look at my Vegan Cheese Recipe.
- Be at liberty to make use of different savory add-ins, like crisp crumbled bacon, prosciutto, diced ham, or Canadian bacon, sauteed onion and pepper, or spices like oregano, basil, chives, or rosemary.
- Parmesan cheese, ricotta or mozzarella on high is a beautiful further contact as nicely. For a creamier and barely tangy choice, strive my Garlic and Herb Cream Cheese, Solar-Dried Tomato Cream Cheese, Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese, or Garlic and Chive Cream Cheese.
Extra Savory Pastry Recipes
Kickstart your day with this mouthwatering Full Breakfast Tart which is a tasty medley of flavors, textures, and healthful vitamins.
Servings: 8 servings
- ½ recipe tough puff pastry (defrosted in a single day within the fridge if frozen)
- 1 cup (3 oz/85 g) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup (8 oz/225 g) uncased sausage
- 1 cup (5 oz/142 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10 giant eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons recent parsley, minced
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
On a floured floor, roll out the tough puff pastry to ¼-inch (6 mm) thick circle and line a ten ½-inch (27 cm) tart pan with it.
Line the crust with parchment paper, fill with dried beans or pie weights and blind bake the crust for quarter-hour. (observe beneath)
Take away the parchment paper and beans or pie weights and let the pastry prepare dinner about 5-10 minutes longer, till the pastry is golden throughout, after which take away from the oven (depart the oven on).
Whereas the pastry is baking, prepare dinner the sausage in a medium skillet over medium warmth till finished. Put aside.
To assemble the tart, sprinkle the cheese over the pastry, then add the cooked sausage and the cherry tomato halves.
Lastly, crack the eggs on high of the whole lot, sprinkle salt and pepper and return to the oven till the egg whites are set and the yolks are baked to your liking, about 14-18 minutes. Serve whereas nonetheless heat.
Retailer leftovers lined within the fridge for as much as at some point. Reheat in a 300°F (150°C) oven for 10 minutes.