Grandma’s potato soup recipe is so comforting and excellent when making an attempt to seize a few of these acquainted childhood emotions. The perfect potato soup recipe has easy elements, and it’s a nice soup for a winter day.
You possibly can create a bowl of soul-satisfying soup with russet potatoes, butter, and evaporated milk. In about 45 minutes, this easy potato soup will likely be made, I simply know it is going to be a household favourite that tastes prefer it got here from Grandma’s kitchen.
This submit comprises affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Home made Potato Soup – The Best and Tastiest
Home made potato soup shouldn’t be a sophisticated recipe. This simple potato soup recipe is made with primary elements and is consolation meals you’ll love. Who doesn’t adore it when their favourite soup is simple to make?
Grandma’s Potato Soup is the right method to heat up!
There’s nothing pretty much as good as a scrumptious bowl of selfmade potato soup. Potato soup is simple to make and excellent for the newbie and the skilled prepare dinner alike.
Earlier than you make this improbable bowl of soup positive to depart me a remark down beneath and share the most effective dish your grandmother made for you!
Previous Common Potato Soup Elements
- Russet potatoes – this pantry staple breaks down right into a creamy bowl of soup, Yukon golds are an awesome second alternative
- Evaporated milk – evaporated milk provides you the richness of heavy cream with out all the fats
- Entire milk – don’t use fat-free or 2% milk they don’t maintain up while you reheat the soup
- Unsalted butter – this manner you possibly can management the salt, common salted butter is an efficient substitute nevertheless it relies on what you’ve got available
- White onion – you should use yellow onions if that’s what you’ve got available, however I feel the good flavors of chopped white onions are excellent for this recipe.
- Garlic juice – you should use two or three teaspoons of finely minced recent garlic if you happen to need recent garlic is a simple substitution garlic juice
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- Floor black pepper – freshly cracked is finest
This soup doesn’t use rooster broth or vegetable broth. You might substitute the water within the recipe with both, however my grandma liked simple recipes with a number of easy elements, this selfmade soup suits that invoice.
What’s the finest type of potato to make use of for potato soup?
Some potatoes aren’t good for making potato soup. It’s a proven fact that all potatoes usually are not created equal, and a few sorts of potatoes can flip your soup right into a thick, gluey mass. My grandmother used Idaho or russet potatoes, and she or he undoubtedly knew finest.
One Potato for the Pot Defined
It was a practice when feeding a bunch of individuals to permit one potato per individual plus one for the pot. It meant that you just had sufficient meals however not an excessive amount of. You put together the “pot” potato together with the opposite potatoes.
What’s Garlic Juice?
This recipe makes use of garlic juice, however you possibly can substitute chopped or pressed garlic. Garlic juice is reputed to have many well being advantages, and you may even make your personal garlic juice. Whereas researching how one can make garlic juice, I got here throughout a gadget referred to as a garlic peeler that makes it very simple to peel garlic.
How do you make potato soup?
It’s simple to make potato soup from scratch. Listed here are the steps for this old school potato soup recipe:
- Peel and minimize potatoes and place the chunks of potatoes in a big soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Add milk, evaporated milk, and fragrant greens like celery and onions.
- Cook dinner the potatoes till fork tender.
- Mix with an immersion blender for a deliciously thick and creamy soup.
How do you make potato soup thicker?
You possibly can simply thicken potato soup by including a combination of flour and butter that’s blended collectively. By mixing equal quantities of butter and flour collectively, you create a strong thickener that turns a skinny soup right into a creamy soup you’ll love.
Why do you add flour to potato soup?
It is going to rely on the recipe. This recipe doesn’t have flour in it. You might thicken the soup if you happen to like. If you wish to thicken this with flour, I like to recommend including 1 tablespoon of flour to 1 tablespoon of butter, and blend the flour and butter collectively, then drop this into the soup whereas it’s close to the top of the cooking course of, and stir till it thickens.
Variations on this Home made Potato Soup Recipe
Because of my readers for these options:
- Throw in a few bay leaves and sprinkle some recent chives on prime.
- Use inexperienced onions as an alternative of standard onions.
- Add a little bit of salty style with some bacon bits.
- Sprinkle some Kraft Three Cheese Mix on prime.
- You possibly can add a dollop of bitter cream
What goes with potato soup?
Are you able to make this recipe for selfmade potato soup forward?
You can also make potato soup forward of time, potato soup reheats very nicely. The easiest way to warmth up potato soup is to warmth it up gently on the stovetop over low warmth.
The best way to Retailer Home made Potato Soup
- Refrigerating: Refrigerate the soup in an hermetic container for 3 to 4 days.
- Freezing: Freeze the soup in an hermetic container for as much as 3 months earlier than serving. It is a good soup to freeze. You by no means know while you want a scrumptious bowl of soup.
The best way to Reheat Previous Common Potato Soup
Potato soup will be such a hearty soup, and it’s excellent for lunch or dinner!
- If the soup is frozen – You possibly can merely put the frozen soup in a medium or large-sized pot, and warmth over low temperature till the soup is thawed. Then reheat it at medium temperature till it’s heated by means of.
- If the soup is refrigerated – Place it in a medium or large-sized pot and warmth over medium warmth, till the soup is heated by means of.
Love Potato Soup? Listed here are extra copycat potato soup recipes so that you can attempt
Favourite Soup Recipes
Grandma’s Potato Soup
Generally there may be nothing higher than a bowl of selfmade old school potato soup.
- 4 Russet potatoes (Idaho or Russet potatoes are really helpful) (It is a whole of 5 potatoes)
- 1 potato for the pot
- 15 ounces evaporated milk
- 15 ounces complete milk
- 15 ounces water
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 chopped celery stalk
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely floor black pepper
Peel and chop 4 potatoes into bite-sized chunks and place right into a medium-sized stockpot. Place the 1 peeled potato into the pot.
Add evaporated milk and replenish empty can with every complete milk and water.
Add butter, enable to soften. Add chopped celery, onion, chopped garlic, sea salt, and pepper.
Stir till nicely blended.
Cook dinner on low or simmer till potatoes are comfortable.
DO NOT enable soup to boil.
If desired prime with recent or dried herbs, cheese, crumbled cooked bacon.
- Serve potato soup chilly through the summer time! Vichyssoise is chilly potato soup!
- Don’t use potatoes which have a inexperienced tinge to them, they’re previous their prime!
- The soup is finest consumed 2 or 3 days after it’s made!
- The flavour of potato soup is enhanced by any buttered candy roll or dinner roll.
This potato soup is made with evaporated milk and plenty of thanks go to hyjinx for sharing the recipe.
Energy: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 7g | Fats: 15g | Saturated Fats: 9g | Ldl cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 361mg | Potassium: 760mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 505IU | Vitamin C: 11.3mg | Calcium: 169mg | Iron: 2mg