All you want is 2 frequent components to make a simple cake flour substitute! With simply all-purpose flour and cornstarch, you’ll be again on monitor to baking the softest muffins and cupcakes.
Make a Cake Flour Substitute
The extra you bake, the extra you understand that after they say that cooking is an artwork, and baking is a science, they aren’t kidding! Even a easy change of components could make all of the distinction. Relating to the softest muffins and cupcakes, I’ve come to depend on cake flour for the tenderest outcomes.
Once in a while, although, my inventory runs out. When that occurs, I make this crazy-easy cake flour substitute. All it takes is 2 frequent components: all-purpose flour and cornstarch.
What Is Cake Flour?
Cake flour is a low-protein flour that’s milled additional positive and comprises about 5-8% protein. In the meantime, all-purpose is barely greater, at 10-12%. In baking, a better protein content material means extra gluten improvement. Cake flour’s decrease protein content material means much less gluten, for a softer, moist crumb and fluffier texture. Right here’s a fast overview of the variations:
- Cake Flour: Low-protein, which implies much less gluten formation. This makes it a more sensible choice for muffins and cupcakes, for instance (see under for simple recipe concepts).
- All-Function Flour: All-purpose flour is medium-protein, with reasonable gluten in consequence. This makes it an actual all-rounder, appropriate for all the things from chocolate chip cookies to pancakes.
- Bread Flour: Bread flour has a excessive protein content material, which results in extra gluten formation. This makes it ultimate for bread recipes with a more durable texture, like a selfmade baguette.
Cake Flour In Baking
You may be questioning, “What occurs if I simply use all-purpose as an alternative of cake flour, and vice versa?” The excellent news is, for essentially the most half, nothing horrible. Many individuals (myself included) often use these flours interchangeably, and not using a cake turning into one thing from an episode of “Nailed It!” Nonetheless, your baked items received’t end up as comfortable and delicate.
After all, there are some exceptions. Chocolate cake, for instance, tends to end up overly tender and flimsy when made with cake flour. It’s because it already comprises cocoa powder, one other finely milled ingredient. One other one is carrot cake and different recipes that comprise added fruit and/or greens, like zucchini bread. The extra moisture from these moist components requires more durable flour. In these recipes, it’s greatest to stay with all-purpose.
I usually use cake flour in recipes that decision for a lighter crumb. This brings us to the even higher information: all it takes is one ingredient to show all-purpose right into a cake flour substitute.
Let’s Flip All-Function Flour Into Cake Flour!
When you’ve already began on a recipe for fluffy cupcakes, solely to search out that your bag of positive flour is empty, by no means worry. It’s easy sufficient to make a fast, selfmade substitute. To melt the proteins in all-purpose flour and make it extra like cake flour, simply add starch! On this case, cornstarch, to be precise. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- All-purpose flour
- Whisk or positive mesh sifter
Making a cake flour substitute is very easy. All you do is fill 1 cup with all-purpose flour, scoop out 2 tablespoons, and exchange it with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Give it a whisk or sift it in a bowl, and there you’ve gotten it. Your flour is able to use in your whole lightest and chewiest desserts. Scroll to the recipe card under the publish for extra particulars.
Suggestions for Success
Earlier than you file this useful selfmade substitute below “must-have baking hacks”, listed here are some remaining ideas to remember.
- Measure the flour appropriately. That is key! When you don’t have a kitchen scale to weigh out your flour, I like to recommend utilizing the spoon and sweep methodology. Spoon the flour from the bag into your 1-cup measure. Then, use the again of a knife to stage it off. No matter you do, please don’t scoop the flour proper from the bag. You’ll wind up with approach an excessive amount of.
- Be sure you’re utilizing cornstarch and never cornmeal. They don’t seem to be the identical factor!
- Can I make cake flour with out cornstarch? Sure, you should utilize equal elements arrowroot powder rather than cornstarch to make this selfmade substitute.
It’s necessary to retailer flour in a cool, dry place away from daylight (like a pantry). When you dwell in a hotter local weather, or should you’re maintaining flour for longer than one yr, retailer it within the freezer! The flour will hold recent within the freezer for as much as 2 years.
12 Cake Flour Recipes
This substitute works like a allure! Put it to the take a look at with these straightforward recipes for comfortable and moist muffins, cupcakes, and extra.
Learn to make a simple cake flour substitute with simply two components! All you want is all-purpose flour and cornstarch, and also you’ll be again on monitor to baking the softest muffins and cupcakes.
- 14 tablespoons all-purpose flour (1 cup minus 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add the flour and cornstarch into a big bowl. Whisk collectively to mix.
- As an alternative of measuring 14 tablespoons of flour, you possibly can merely measure one cup of flour and take away two tablespoons.
Key phrases: methods to make cake flour, cake flour substitute, cake flour recipes
Need To Save This Recipe?
Discover extra recipes like this:
PIN for later: