This submit could include affiliate hyperlinks. Please see my full disclosure for particulars.
Hello Daring Bakers!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE: This Olive Leaf Pasta (Foglie d’Ulivo) is an elongated, shell-like pasta made out of conventional, toothsome semolina dough. It’s the right selection if you need pasta that’s not super-long like fettuccine, however is large enough to work in a wide range of dishes. If you happen to’ve by no means tried home made pasta earlier than, it is a good, easy-to-shape pasta to begin with! It’s versatile, and its flat, curved form looks like it was created only for capturing each chunk of your favourite sauce.
This Olive Leaf Pasta Recipe (Foglie d’Ulivo) is made out of my grasp Semolina Pasta Recipe. I can’t wait to share every variation with you, corresponding to Orecchiette Pasta Recipe, Malloreddus Pasta Recipe (Gnocchetti Sardi), Cavatelli Pasta Recipe, and Busiate Pasta Recipe.
Desk of Contents
What’s Olive Leaf Pasta (Foglie d’Ulivo)
- Olive Leaf Pasta, or Foglie d’Ulivo, is a flat, elongated pasta. It’s standard in each Liguria in Northern Italy and Puglia in Southern Italy.
- Its form appears to be like just like the lengthy, slender, oval leaves of the Mediterranean olive tree. It belongs to a pasta class known as strascinati, from the Italian verb strascinare, which means “to drag.” Strascinati are pasta shapes lower from ropes of pasta dough.
- Typically cooks add pureed contemporary spinach to the dough to make this pasta look much more like olive leaves!
Key Elements and Why
- Semolina flour
- Semolina flour is made out of arduous durum wheat, the species of wheat used to make pasta.
- This excessive gluten, excessive protein (13%) content material offers semolina flour extra sturdiness and elasticity. That helps the pasta preserve its form whereas cooking and offers your pasta that fantastic al dente texture.
- It has a rough, grainy texture, and is pale yellow in shade from the carotenoids, the pure pigment present in durum wheat in addition to in carrots and candy potatoes.
The way to Make Olive Leaf Pasta
Make the dough from my 2-Ingredient Semolina Pasta Recipe.
Form the Olive Leaf Pasta
- Divide the dough into quarters and work with one part at a time. Hold the remainder of the dough lined in order that it doesn’t dry out. Roll the dough right into a rope and lower it into 1 1/2 inch (4 cm) items.
- Take one piece of dough at a time, and roll so it’s tapered at each ends.
- Maintain down one finish of a chunk of dough, and holding a desk knife at a slight angle, press into the middle of the dough lengthwise and drag down and away from you to create the leaf form.
- As quickly as you end a chunk, place it on the semolina-dusted baking tray.
Cook dinner and retailer the Olive Leaf Pasta
- To make sure the pasta retains its form whereas cooking, let the pasta fully air-dry for 12 to 24 hours.
- When able to serve, cook dinner your pasta in a big pot of water with salt (for taste and to stop it from sticking) for six to 10 minutes.
Can I Make Olive Leaf Pasta in Advance?
Sure, you may make this pasta upfront. After it’s fully air-dried, it may be saved at room temperature in an hermetic container for eight weeks.
The way to Dry Recent Pasta Accurately at House
- Drying pasta accurately and completely earlier than storing it away is an important step: if not executed accurately the saved pasta will go moldy.
- As a result of will probably be held at room temperature and never within the fridge, eradicating all of the moisture is vital to making sure the protection and longevity of your pasta.
- Begin by tossing the pasta with a small quantity of semolina to maintain the dough from sticking.
- Subsequent, lay the pasta in a single layer on a baking sheet. You will want to let your pasta fully air-dry.
- This will take anyplace from 12-24 hours or longer, relying on the temperature and humidity of your kitchen.
- In sizzling international locations, this step might be sooner by placing the pasta within the solar, which is what I do.
The way to Retailer Olive Leaf Pasta
- Retailer leftover cooked pasta within the fridge for as much as three days. Drizzle a little bit olive oil on the pasta to maintain it from sticking.
- Or dry the pasta in a single layer on the baking tray for a number of hours earlier than transferring it to an hermetic container to be saved at room temperature for as much as 8 weeks.
- Alternatively, freeze uncooked contemporary uncooked semolina pasta for as much as eight weeks.
How do I shade Olive Leaf Pasta with spinach?
(This additionally explains how and the way a lot spinach ought to be added to Foglie d’Ulivo.)
- Steam, puree, and spin or squeeze dry 10 ounces (283 grams) of contemporary child spinach.
- Mix with ⅓ cup (79ml/79g) of water.
- Combine in with the semolina flour. The dough ought to be elastic and easy. If it’s too moist, add extra semolina flour as essential, and if it’s dry after the resting interval, add water a couple of drops at a time.
Can I cook dinner the pasta with out drying it first?
The drying ensures that the pasta will preserve its form whereas cooking, and it additionally could be sticky if you happen to attempt to boil it with out drying it first.
Can I take advantage of my meals dehydrator to dry my Olive Leaf Pasta?
Pasta is mostly air-dried, nevertheless, it is best to be capable to do it in a single layer in an oven or dehydrator at 135°F for about 4 hours, checking it at two hours to check it. The timing is determined by the thickness of the pasta.
How will I do know if my Olive Leaf Pasta is correctly cooked?
Cook dinner the pasta till plump and expanded, and the middle now not appears to be like chalky or uncooked.
What are the most well-liked Olive Leaf Pasta (Foglie d’Ulivo) recipes?
- Burrata Foglie d’Ulivo: High Olive Leaf Pasta with creamy burrata, chopped contemporary tomato, and a sprinkle of crimson chili flakes, as they do in Italy.
- Foglie d’Ulivo ai Funghi: Make a sauce of earthy porcini mushrooms, garlic, olive oil, and white wine. It’s huge on taste and fast to place collectively.
- Olive Leaf Pasta and Herbs: In Puglia, this pasta is usually adorned with chopped thyme, basil, oregano, and garlic with olive oil.
- Foglie d’Ulivo Ragu: A thick and meaty tomato sauce is an ideal and crowd-pleasing selection.
- Olive Leaf Pasta with Shrimp: Put together this pasta the Apulian method—make it with seafood. Cook dinner shrimp with garlic and olive oil, and squeeze on some lemon juice.
Gemma’s Professional Chef Suggestions
- Make the dough from my 2-Ingredient Semolina Pasta Recipe.
- This dough dries out fairly simply, so you’ll want to at all times preserve the dough lined in an hermetic container (or in plastic wrap) when you’re not working with it.
- This pasta is typically made with spinach. If you want to do that, please discover a particular recipe for this. The spinach has moisture which can change a few of the water required within the dough.
- Form this pasta on an un-floured floor. If shaping turns into tough, move a moist material over your work floor and arms to assist the dough stick a bit extra.
- This pasta should dry fully earlier than cooking for it to retain its form.
- Even when completely dried, this pasta should be saved within the fridge and cooked inside two days.
- Retailer-bought contemporary pasta usually cooks in a couple of minutes however this heartier handmade model can take longer. Be sure you cook dinner completely!
- Pair this pasta with Roasted Garlic and Herb Compound Butter, Compound Butter, or Solar-Dried Tomato Compound Butter, you’ll be grand!
Extra Pasta Recipes
Make this genuine Olive Leaf Pastas Recipe simply at house and take pleasure in Mediterranean fusion with this versatile, distinctive and divine twist.
Servings: 4 servings
Divide your Semolina Pasta Dough into quarters and work with one portion at a time, leaving the remaining lined to maintain it from drying out.
On a clear, un-floured work floor, roll the dough right into a rope about ¼ inch (16 mm) thick. Reduce the rope into 1½ inch (4 cm) items.
Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll the dough in order that it’s tapered at each ends. Gently maintain down one finish and utilizing a desk knife at a slight angle, press into the middle of the dough lengthwise and drag it down and away from you to create the leaf form.
Switch every bit to a baking tray dusted with semolina to let dry as you proceed to form the remainder of the dough.
Enable the dough to dry in a single layer on the baking tray for a number of hours to dry earlier than cooking or transferring to an hermetic container to be saved at room temperature for as much as 8 weeks. (See my be aware above on ‘The way to Dry Pasta Accurately at House’)
When able to cook dinner, deliver a pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook dinner till tender and totally cooked by means of, about 6-10 minutes. Cook dinner time is determined by thickness and form so verify for doneness earlier than eradicating from the pot.