This put up might include affiliate hyperlinks. Please see my full disclosure for particulars.
Hello Daring Bakers!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE: Rigatoni Pasta is a big tube-shaped conventional semolina pasta. The ridges of this generously-proportioned pasta grip sauce and Parmesan cheese, and the broad diameter is sufficiently big to lock the sauce inside too! Rigatoni has the required heft to face up in baked pasta dishes, and it received’t get misplaced in a thick and chunky ragu. Find out how a lot enjoyable it’s to make your personal rigatoni with my straightforward directions, and luxuriate in do-it-yourself Italian goodness very quickly.
This Rigatoni Recipe is constituted of my grasp Semolina Pasta Recipe. I can’t wait to share every variation with you, reminiscent of Orecchiette Pasta Recipe, Malloreddus Pasta Recipe (Gnocchetti Sardi), Cavatelli Pasta Recipe, Busiate Pasta Recipe, and Olive Leaf Pasta Recipe (Foglie d’Ulivo).
Desk of Contents
What’s Rigatoni Pasta?
- Rigatoni is a ridged, tubular pasta that’s sometimes 2 inches lengthy and has squared-off ends.
- The identify rigatoni comes from the Italian phrase rigate, which suggests ridged. It’s a typical pasta in Rome and central and southern Italy.
- Rigatoni dough was historically extruded—pressed by way of a bronze die—however I’ll present you how you can form it simply by hand.
Key Substances and Why
- Semolina flour
- Semolina flour is constituted of onerous durum wheat, the species of wheat used to make pasta.
- This excessive gluten, excessive protein (13%) content material offers semolina flour extra sturdiness and elasticity. That helps the pasta maintain its form whereas cooking and provides your pasta that fantastic al dente texture.
- It has a rough, grainy texture, and is pale yellow in coloration from the carotenoids, the pure pigment present in durum wheat in addition to in carrots and candy potatoes.
Make Rigatoni Pasta
- Make the dough from my 2-Ingredient Semolina Pasta Recipe.
- To form the pasta:
- Divide the dough into quarters and work with one part at a time. Cowl the remainder of the dough so it doesn’t dry out.
- Working with one part at a time, cross by way of a pasta maker to #5. Do that twice. In the event you don’t have a pasta maker, roll out the dough as skinny as you possibly can.
- Lower the dough into 2-inch squares. Cowl the remaining squares with a dish towel.
- Place a bit of dough on the gnocchi board in a sq. orientation. Place the dowel on the sq. of dough, type the dough across the dowel, and roll and press on the gnocchi board to make ridges.
- Whereas the dough is across the dowel, press the ends collectively to make a seam.
- Slip the rigatoni off the dowel, and place on a semolina-dusted baking tray.
- Air-dry the pasta utterly for 12-24 hours, to make sure the pasta retains its form whereas cooking.
- Prepare dinner your pasta in salt water (for taste and to forestall it from sticking) in a big pot for six to 10 minutes. Drain and serve.
Can I Make Rigatoni Pasta in Advance?
After you air-dry the rigatoni utterly, retailer at room temperature in an hermetic container for eight weeks.
Dry Contemporary Pasta Accurately at House
- Dry do-it-yourself pasta accurately and completely earlier than storing it away. This can be a crucial step: if not carried out accurately the saved pasta will go moldy.
- As a result of it is going to be held at room temperature and never within the fridge, eradicating all of the moisture is essential to making sure the security and longevity of your pasta.
- Begin by tossing the rigatoni with a small quantity of semolina to maintain the dough from sticking.
- Subsequent, lay the pasta in a single layer on a baking sheet. You’ll need to let your pasta utterly air-dry.
- This may take wherever from 12 to 24 hours or longer, relying on the temperature and humidity of your kitchen.
- In scorching nations, this step will be sooner by placing the pasta within the solar, which is what I do.
Retailer Rigatoni Pasta
- Retailer leftover cooked rigatoni within the fridge for as much as three days. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on the pasta to maintain it from sticking.
- Or dry the dough in a single layer on the baking tray for a number of hours earlier than transferring to an hermetic container to be saved at room temperature for as much as 8 weeks.
- Alternatively, freeze uncooked contemporary semolina pasta for as much as eight weeks.
Can I make this pasta and not using a pasta maker?
Roll the pasta sheets by hand if you happen to don’t have a pasta maker however you’ll want to roll the dough as skinny as you probably can.
Can I cook dinner the pasta with out drying it first?
You should dry pasta so it retains its form whereas cooking. Moreover, it is perhaps sticky if you happen to attempt to boil it with out drying it first.
Can I exploit my meals dehydrator to dry my rigatoni?
Home made rigatoni pasta is mostly air-dried, nevertheless, you must be capable of dry pasta in a single layer in an oven or dehydrator at 135°F for about 4 hours, checking it at two hours to check it. The timing relies on the thickness of the pasta.
How will I do know if my rigatoni is correctly cooked?
Prepare dinner the pasta till plump and expanded, and the middle now not appears chalky or uncooked.
What are some well-known rigatoni pasta dishes?
- Baked Rigatoni: Make this satisfying casserole dish with marinara sauce, heavy cream, spinach, mozzarella, and contemporary basil leaves.
- Rigatoni with Creamy Mushroom Sauce: A sublime dish that includes the mushrooms of your alternative cooked with garlic, cream, and Parmesan cheese.
- Rigatoni with Sausage and Peppers: You’ll adore this hearty mixture of candy or spicy Italian sausage, onion, garlic, and purple pepper flakes.
- Rigatoni with 4 Cheese Sauce: Rigatoni with Parmesan, mozzarella, fontina, and Gorgonzola is a decadently scrumptious preparation.
- Rigatoni Pasta alla Norma: This much-loved Sicilian preparation boasts fried eggplant, savory ricotta salata, and tomato sauce.
- Rigatoni al Ragu di Carne: On a cold day, hearty rigatoni with tomato sauce slow-cooked with pork shoulder and onion, garlic, and carrots is perfection.
- Rigatoni alla Carbonara: Combine rigatoni with the basic carbonara mix of eggs, Pecorino Romano, and salty pancetta for an actual crowd-pleaser.
- Rigatoni with White Bolognese: Bored with tomatoes? Prime rigatoni with this wealthy mixture of porcini mushrooms, floor beef, Italian sausage, wine, and cream.
- Rigatoni alla Gricia: Standard since historical Roman instances. This straightforward recipe incorporates rigatoni, guanciale (or pancetta), Pecorino Romano, and black pepper.
Gemma’s Professional Chef Ideas
- Make the dough from my 2-Ingredient Semolina Pasta Recipe.
- This dough dries out fairly simply so you’ll want to retailer the dough in an hermetic container (or in plastic wrap) if you end up not working with it.
- Form the pasta on an un-floured gnocchi board. If shaping turns into tough, strive a really small contact of flour.
- Dry the pasta utterly earlier than cooking for it to retain its form.
- Even when completely dried, this pasta should be saved within the fridge and cooked inside two days.
- Retailer-bought contemporary pasta typically cooks in a couple of minutes however this heartier handmade model can take longer. Be sure you cook dinner completely!
- Pair this pasta with Roasted Garlic and Herb Compound Butter, Blue Cheese Compound Butter, or Solar-Dried Tomato Compound Butter, you’ll be grand!
Extra Pasta Recipes
Uncover beautiful Rigatoni Pasta with this straightforward recipe. From creamy Carbonara to zesty tomato sauce, get pleasure from genuine Italian dishes at house.
Servings: 4 servings
Divide your 2 ingredient Home made Pasta dough into quarters and work with one portion at a time, leaving the remainder lined to maintain it from drying out.
Working with one piece at a time, cross by way of a pasta maker to #5. Cross the dough twice by way of this setting.
Lower the dough into 2-inch (5 cm) squares and maintain the squares lined with a tea towel whilst you work with one sq. at a time.
Place the dough on a gnocchi board in a sq. orientation. Utilizing a ½ inch (1½ cm) thick dowel, roll the dough across the dowel and press into the board in order that they make lengthwise ridges.
Press a bit extra firmly on the seam to seal it, slip the tube off the dowel and place on a baking tray dusted with semolina to dry whilst you form the remaining dough.
Permit the dough to dry in a single layer on the baking tray for a number of hours to dry earlier than cooking or transferring to an hermetic container to be saved at room temperature for as much as 8 weeks. (See my be aware above on ‘ Dry Pasta Accurately at House’)
When able to cook dinner, convey a pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook dinner till tender and absolutely cooked by way of, about 6-10 minutes. Prepare dinner time relies on thickness and form so test for doneness earlier than eradicating from the pot.