This straightforward French toast recipe takes lower than quarter-hour to make! My model makes use of the right custard ratio for crisp and tender (not soggy!) outcomes. Recipe features a how-to video!
Why You Want This French Toast Recipe
- Excellent custard ratio: Whereas eyeballing substances can work for French toast (and generally lemonade or mac and cheese), really nice French toast wants simply the precise ratio of milk/cream to eggs.
- No soggy/eggy outcomes! If you happen to’ve ever struggled with soggy or eggy outcomes previously, this foolproof recipe is for you! It comes out with crisp edges and tender facilities, each time.
- Fast and straightforward: Lower than quarter-hour to make! We love quick breakfasts round right here.
- Breakfast staple (and the inspiration for my French toast casserole!) that everybody ought to know how one can make.
I do know, I do know. You in all probability assume you don’t want a French toast recipe, and hey, you could be proper! Nonetheless, in case you’ve ever made a batch that was too eggy, too soggy, and even too bland, contemplate giving my recipe a attempt.
I went by means of a number of testing to provide you with the most effective (however nonetheless straightforward and quick!) French toast recipe on the market–no eggy, soggy, dry, or flavorless outcomes right here! You’re positively going to need to save this one 😉
What You Want
Along with a number of slices of high quality bread, you want solely a handful of fundamental substances to make this recipe:
- Milk & cream. I favor to make use of a mix of milk and heavy cream for my custard combination; nevertheless, in case you don’t have heavy cream in your fridge, merely use all milk as a substitute. The custard across the bread will merely be a bit thinner/much less wealthy.
- Eggs. A vital element! You’ll want three giant eggs right here. Ideally, you ought to be utilizing room temperature eggs for the simplest mixing, however this recipe will nonetheless work with straight-from-the-fridge substances.
- Sugar. We’ll use only a small quantity of sugar in our custard combination so as to add sweetness and encourage the bread to caramelize. Many recipes skip this ingredient, however I’m a agency believer in including it!
- Vanilla and cinnamon. Strictly technically talking, these are non-obligatory, however French toast with out vanilla and cinnamon simply isn’t almost pretty much as good! A splash of almond extract or a pinch of nutmeg would additionally work right here, when you have a extra adventurous palate.
SAM’S TIP: Need to hold your French toast heat whilst you put together the remainder? Organize the items in a single layer on a baking sheet, then place in an oven set to its lowest setting. Or, in case your oven has a “hold heat” setting, simply use that!
Bear in mind, that is simply an outline of the substances I used and why. For the total recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
How you can Make French Toast
- Make the custard – Whisk collectively the milk, cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a shallow dish (a 9×9 pan works effectively for this). Set this combination apart whilst you put together your pan.
- Put together your pan – Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray, or add ½ tablespoon of butter. Place over medium excessive warmth.
SAM’S TIP: Whisk your custard completely to verify the eggs are effectively included into the remainder of the combination. In case your combination isn’t effectively mixed, you would find yourself with toasted bread surrounded by bits of fried egg…not what we’re on the lookout for right here!
- Soak the bread – Whisk the egg combination yet another time, then dip your bread in, coating each side. I prefer to let my bread soak for just some seconds per facet, in case you submerge it fully the bread might develop into too soggy and collapse.
- Prepare dinner – Place the bread in your preheated pan and cook dinner till golden brown, then flip and cook dinner on the opposite facet till golden brown. Repeat with the remaining bread slices, ensuring to whisk the custard earlier than dipping (you need to be sure the substances are well-distributed, generally they settle whereas they sit) and including cooking spray or butter to the pan between every slice.
SAM’S TIP: Let your pan heat over medium-high warmth for a minimum of a number of minutes earlier than including your soaked bread. If the warmth is just too low or the pan too cool if you add the bread, your toast will take too lengthy to cook dinner and might dry out. Don’t flip the warmth up too excessive although, or you’ll burn the surface of your toast and be left with a soggy heart. It ought to take a minimum of a minute or two per facet to cook dinner correctly.
Often Requested Questions
Whereas any sandwich bread will work, I actually suggest utilizing a top quality bread that’s thicker than your customary sandwich bread slices. Sliced brioche, challah, sourdough bread, or Sara Lee Artesano (what I utilized in my video) are all nice selections. Even higher, use stale bread–that’s excellent for French toast!
Utilizing skinny, poor high quality bread or bread that’s too contemporary (day outdated bread actually works greatest!), soaking for too lengthy, or utilizing too excessive of warmth can all result in soggy toast. Additionally, letting the cooked toast sit in a stack whilst you put together the remainder can result in soggy outcomes as effectively, so comply with my tip above for protecting your toast heat within the oven.
Sure! It may be reheated within the oven, on the range, or within the microwave (see beneath for particulars on every):
To reheat the within the oven, prepare your toast on a flippantly greased baking sheet and bake in a 375F oven for 8 minutes, flipping midway by means of.
To reheat on the range, place your toast in a sizzling, flippantly greased pan over medium warmth. Cooking for about 1 minute per facet, then get pleasure from.
Or, merely prepare your toast on a plate, cowl with a humid paper towel, and microwave for about 20-30 seconds.
Get pleasure from!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! If you happen to do that recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram, and you too can discover me on YouTube and Fb
French Toast Recipe
Servings: 6 slices
Stop your display from going darkish
In a shallow dish, whisk collectively milk, heavy cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla, floor cinnamon, and salt. Put aside.
¼ cup (60 ml) milk, ¼ cup (60 ml) heavy cream², 3 giant eggs, 1 ½ Tablespoons sugar, ¾ teaspoons vanilla, ¾ teaspoons floor cinnamon, ⅛ teaspoon salt
Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high warmth and spray with cooking spray or soften ½ Tablespoon of butter.
Cooking spray or butter
As soon as pan is heated, whisk your egg combination as soon as extra then soak one slice of bread on each side. Instantly switch bread to preheated skillet and cook dinner till golden brown on each side.
6 slices bread¹
Repeat with remaining bread/egg combination, spraying pan or melting extra butter earlier than including every new slice.
Serve heat, topped with butter and maple syrup!
²While I like to recommend utilizing heavy cream for greatest style, you possibly can substitute the cream for milk in case you do not need cream available.
Serving: 1slice | Energy: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 6g | Fats: 7g | Saturated Fats: 3g | Trans Fats: 1g | Ldl cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 233mg | Potassium: 104mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 282IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and ought to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will differ based mostly upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking technique, portion sizes, and extra.
Recipe initially printed February 2019, up to date with new notes and images September 2023. Recipe stays the identical, it’s simply as scrumptious as ever!