These stuffed peppers are a vegetarian dinner that everybody will love! They’re stuffed with rice and beans and topped with a melty layer of cheese.
These stuffed peppers deserve a spot in your dinner rotation! They’re the right mixture of comforting and recent, stuffed with a scrumptious mix of rice and beans and topped with melty cheese. Sure, they’re vegetarian, however these stuffed peppers are so tasty that everybody—meat eaters included!—will love them.
I’ve shared different vegetarian stuffed peppers on the weblog earlier than, however this NEW recipe is arms down my favourite. Right here’s why:
- The filling is so darn flavorful. It begins with a base of hearty brown rice, with black beans for protein and corn kernels for crunch. Onions, garlic, and tomato paste make it good and savory, and chili powder and cumin add earthy taste and warmth. YUM!
- It’s nice for meal prep. Make the rice filling a day or two upfront and retailer it in an hermetic container within the fridge. That means, you possibly can rapidly assemble the peppers for a simple weeknight meal.
- It’s wholesome! These stuffed bell peppers are filled with plant-based protein, fiber, and, after all, recent veggies. Seconds, anybody?
Let’s cook dinner!
Learn how to Make Stuffed Peppers
This vegetarian stuffed peppers recipe has three most important steps:
- Roasting the peppers. Baking the peppers on their very own earlier than including the filling offers them the right tender texture.
- Making the filling. It comes collectively in a couple of minutes on the stovetop.
- Assembling and baking the peppers. You’ll stuff the peppers with the rice filling and broil till the cheese is melted and browned.
Discover the entire recipe with measurements beneath.
Roasting the Peppers
Step one on this recipe is roasting the peppers. It takes simply 10 minutes, and it offers them the right tender texture.
Slice them in half vertically, take away the membranes and seeds, and place them lower aspect up on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper, then bake at 450°F till the peppers are tender.
After roasting, tip out any liquid that swimming pools contained in the peppers, and set them apart whilst you make the filling.
Making the Filling
Whereas the peppers roast, make the filling. Should you don’t have already got cooked brown rice available, begin by getting ready it. (See the tip beneath!)
When it’s prepared, sauté the onions, jalapeño, and garlic till softened. Then, add the tomato paste and spices. Prepare dinner till the tomato paste darkens and the spices are aromatic, about 3 minutes.
Take away the pan from the warmth and stir within the rice, beans, and corn. Add recent lime juice and zest for a burst of brilliant taste. Season to style.
Prepare dinner the rice upfront. Brown rice takes practically an hour to cook dinner on the range, so to streamline this recipe, I like to recommend cooking it upfront. The cooked rice will preserve for as much as 3 days in an hermetic container within the fridge and within the freezer for as much as 3 months. See my information to the right way to cook dinner brown rice for cooking directions and suggestions!
Another choice is to totally put together the filling forward of time. Retailer it in an hermetic container within the fridge till you’re able to assemble and bake the peppers.
Lastly, assemble and bake!
Stuff the peppers with the rice combination and prime with the cheese.
Broil till the cheese is melted and browned, 5 to 10 minutes.
Garnish with recent cilantro, and serve!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements beneath.
Variation: Make vegan stuffed peppers!
Exchange the cheese together with your favourite vegan cheese shreds. You could possibly additionally skip the cheese and serve the peppers with sliced avocado and drizzles of chipotle sauce. No must broil the peppers in that case.
Stuffed Peppers Serving Options
The peppers are a satisfying meal on their very own, however in the event you’re searching for one thing to serve on the aspect, you possibly can’t go mistaken with any of those recipes:
Retailer leftover peppers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. They reheat completely within the microwave!
Extra Simple Vegetarian Recipes
Should you love these stuffed bell peppers, attempt one in all these straightforward vegetarian recipes subsequent:
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
These wholesome stuffed peppers are stuffed with a flavorful mixture of rice, beans, and greens and topped with melty cheese. They’re naturally gluten-free; see the notes beneath to make them vegan.
- 4 crimson bell peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds and membranes eliminated
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons floor cumin
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1½ cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels, recent or frozen
- 2 tablespoons recent lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese*
- ½ cup chopped recent cilantro
- Salsa, non-compulsory, for serving
- Avocado, or guacamole, non-compulsory, for serving
Stop your display from going darkish
Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the peppers, lower aspect up, on the baking sheet. Drizzle with avocado oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 10 minutes, or till tender. Tip out and discard any liquid that swimming pools contained in the peppers. Set the peppers apart whilst you put together the filling.
Warmth the avocado oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion, jalapeño, and garlic and cook dinner, stirring often, for five minutes, or till softened. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper and cook dinner for 3 minutes, or till the tomato paste darkens and the spices are aromatic.
Take away from the warmth and stir within the brown rice, black beans, corn, and lime juice and zest. Season to style.
Fill the peppers with the rice combination and prime with the cheese. Place in a big baking dish and broil for five to 10 minutes, or till the cheese is browned.
High with recent cilantro and serve with salsa and avocado, if desired, and lime wedges for squeezing.