This traditional Southern dessert blends the tanginess of vinegar with the sweetness of a silky custard filling, to create a candy and tangy pie. With an added pinch of cinnamon, this vinegar pie recipe is a comforting favourite!
Why You’ll Love This Outdated-Common Vinegar Pie
Why must you do that vinegar pie recipe? Listed below are just some causes!
- Candy and Tangy: Vinegar pie tastes creamy, candy, and tangy, with a slight heat from the pinch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg. It’s a delicious distinction, just like different creamy and tangy pies like mini lemon meringue pies or this frozen key lime pie.
- Fundamental Elements: You don’t want any fancy elements to make this simple pie. Simply fundamental pantry staples like butter, sugar, eggs, and (in fact!) vinegar.
- Conventional: This traditional dessert will take you again to easier occasions. Its old-timey appeal is simply…effectively… charming!
- Advanced and Elegant: Regardless of its minimal elements, vinegar pie makes a beautiful, even spectacular dessert! With its advanced flavors and fairly, silky custard, this can be a festive pie that visitors will love.
Why Do You Put Vinegar in a Pie?
So, why vinegar? Vinegar is added to vinegar pie for a number of causes. First, it balances the sweetness of the pie, including a singular tangy taste that can remind you a little bit of lemon pie, cheesecake, or different tangy-sweet desserts.
Traditionally, vinegar pie is an old school despair period recipe that was additionally usually referred to as desperation pie. Through the Nice Melancholy, many desserts have been made utilizing staple elements like butter, sugar, eggs and flour. Vinegar was used to boost taste throughout occasions when cooks may need had restricted elements, and it may need additionally helped protect the pie. Total, vinegar provides complexity to the pie’s style and texture, which is why this old school recipe continues to be a big-time favourite.
What Is Vinegar Pie Made Of?
- Pie Crust: You possibly can both use a pre-made pie crust or make my do-it-yourself pie crust.
- Butter: Softened butter is crucial! It must be very, very tender, in an effort to whisk it with the opposite elements.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is used to thicken the filling and provides it the proper consistency.
- Sugar: I exploit each granulated sugar and lightweight brown sugar.
- Eggs: A key ingredient that provides construction and texture to the filling.
- Vinegar: You need to use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Both one provides a tangy taste that balances the sweetness of the pie.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract offers the most effective taste.
- Spices (Non-compulsory): Both cinnamon or nutmeg (or a little bit of each!) can be utilized so as to add heat and depth of taste to the filling.
- Powdered Sugar (Non-compulsory): If desired, you’ll be able to sprinkle powdered sugar on high of the completed pie for an ornamental contact.
The best way to Make Vinegar Pie
Vinegar pie strikes the proper steadiness between candy and tangy, all in a easy, custardy filling. Let’s dive into the straightforward steps to create this distinctive dessert:
- Pre-Bake the Pie Crust. Preheat the oven to 400°F, and line a pie pan with do-it-yourself or store-bought crust. Place a sheet of parchment over the crust, and fill it with pie weights or dried beans to maintain it from puffing up. Bake for 10 minutes. Take out the weights, and bake for five minutes extra.
- Make the Filling. Take a giant mixing bowl, and whisk the filling elements (butter, flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vinegar, water, vanilla, and cinnamon) to mix.
- Fill and Bake the Pie. Pour the pie filling into the baked crust, and switch the oven temperature all the way down to 375°F. Bake the pie for 20 minutes, or till the filling is ready and solely jiggles barely when moved.
- Cool and Take pleasure in! Cool for quarter-hour if you wish to serve your vinegar pie heat, or let it cool utterly after which chill it for a few hours to serve chilly. Mud it with powdered sugar simply earlier than serving, for those who like!
Baking Suggestions for the Greatest Southern Vinegar Pie
I’ve made this pie with common vinegar and apple cider vinegar, we are able to’t actually inform the distinction. You need to use both one! Listed below are a number of extra useful ideas:
- Spices: Historically no nutmeg or cinnamon have been added to vinegar pie, however I discover just a bit pinch of both one provides much more depth of taste. You possibly can be at liberty to skip it for those who favor a extra conventional model.
- Granulated Sugar: I like to make use of half granulated sugar and half brown sugar to offer the pie extra taste. You possibly can select to make use of all granulated sugar as an alternative.
- Garnishing: As a substitute of powdered sugar, you can even garnish it with a dollop of whipped cream.
The best way to Retailer This Pie
To retailer vinegar pie, cowl it with plastic wrap or foil to maintain within the taste and moisture. Retailer it within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
Does Vinegar Pie Freeze Nicely?
Sadly, creamy pies like this don’t at all times freeze effectively. Typically the filling will get a bit watery after thawing. Nevertheless, if you wish to give it a attempt, I like to recommend wrapping it tightly in two layers (foil or plastic wrap – both one is nice for freezing). Mark it with the date, and freeze it for as much as 2 months. Thaw it out within the fridge earlier than serving.
Extra Traditional Southern Desserts
This traditional Southern dessert blends the tanginess of vinegar with the sweetness of a silky custard filling, to create a candy and tangy pie. With an added pinch of cinnamon, Vinegar Pie is a comforting favourite!
- 1 9- inch do-it-yourself pie crust, or retailer purchased
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup mild brown sugar
- 4 giant eggs
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon floor cinnamon, or nutmeg
- Powdered sugar, elective garnish
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Roll out the premade pie crust then place it in a 9-inch pie dish.
Tuck the crust into the ledge of the pan and crimp the sides in no matter design you want.
Place a sheet of parchment paper over the crust and fill it with pie weights or dried beans and bake for 10 minutes.
Take away the paper and weights and proceed baking for five extra minutes.
Whereas the pie crust baked, whisk to mix the butter, flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vinegar, water, vanilla, and cinnamon, in a big bowl.
Pour the filling into the pie crust. Cut back the oven temperature to 375°F and bake the pie for 20 minutes, or till the filling is ready and solely jiggles barely when moved.
Enable the pie to chill for quarter-hour and serve heat, or let pie cool utterly and switch to the fridge for two hours to serve chilled. Mud pie with powdered sugar earlier than serving if desired.
Spices: Historically no nutmeg or cinnamon have been added to vinegar pie, however I discover just a bit pinch of both one provides much more depth of taste. You possibly can be at liberty to skip it for those who favor a extra conventional model.
Granulated Sugar: I like to make use of half granulated sugar and half brown sugar to offer the pie extra taste. You possibly can select to make use of all granulated sugar as an alternative.
Garnishing: As a substitute of powdered sugar, you can even garnish it with a dollop of whipped cream.
Energy: 1074kcal, Carbohydrates: 110g, Protein: 15g, Fats: 63g, Saturated Fats: 23g, Polyunsaturated Fats: 7g, Monounsaturated Fats: 27g, Trans Fats: 0.4g, Ldl cholesterol: 90mg, Sodium: 918mg, Potassium: 233mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 10g, Vitamin A: 381IU, Vitamin C: 0.002mg, Calcium: 56mg, Iron: 6mg
This submit could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.